ch 15: tristan

"Honestly, it's like you two just like to argue."

"No, we don't"

"Do not, Mom."

"Hmm, well now you're agreeing. I guess there's a first time for everything."

Nate and I looked at each other for a second and I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

He was the one that said something to Mom about me and Sunny, effectively canceling our sleepovers. If anyone should be pissed, it's me.

I slid back in my chair, grabbing my plate before taking it to the sink.

"Not hungry."

I smirked to myself then made a face at Nate, knowing he was going to be stuck at the table.

Every Saturday, after breakfast, he and Dad would go over Nate's practice film from the week before so I took this moment as an opportunity to head outside to talk to Sunny.

I found her sitting by the edge of the pool. She was sitting cross-legged at the edge with an elbow propped on her knee while her other hand drew infinity symbols in the water.

"I wasn't feeling the omelet either."

Sunny turned and looked up at me, squinting as the sun illuminated her caramel-shaded eyes.

"Wanna come and get pancakes with me?"

"Oh, my God. How did you find out about this place?"

I smiled at Sunny, falling deeper for her at that moment just because of her raw beauty.

Her hair was up in a messy bun, she still had on my t-shirt and sweats, and to top it all off her face was covered with whipped cream, but I didn't care.

She was fucking perfect.

"Come on, Bun. You know I had to find the city's best all-breakfast diner."

"And you sure did."

I watched her shake up the whipped cream can before spraying more onto her chocolate-chip pancakes, her favorite breakfast food.

She took her fork and reached over to my side bowl of fruit, picking out the melon I'd hated since I was a kid.

I smirked, watching her pop it into her mouth, silently doing a small happy dance on her side of the booth.

I cleared my throat and suddenly felt a bit nervous as she looked over at me curiously.

It was now or never.

"Look, Sunny, about last night..."

A sad smile was on her face as she shook her head a few times, then turned to stare out of the window.

"It's okay, Tris. I get it."

She looked down at her folded hands in her lap and bit her lip sadly, causing my eyebrows to knit together in confusion.

"Wait. Get what?"

She continued shaking her head as she looked back over at me.

"You don't want this... us."

"Says who?"

She looked back at me with a look of confusion on her face that matched mine.

"But-- you-- you just called me Sunny. You only call me that when you're being serious or when you're nervous."

I leaned forward as a smile broke out on my face.

"Bun, you've been making me nervous since I was five years old. I'm just trying to make sure I don't say the wrong thing like I always do."

"But... I just broke up with--"

"An asshole who didn't deserve you. That fucker was just keeping you distracted during the only year we've ever been apart. Your temporary insanity has been forgiven."

She smirked as her fingers played with the straw in her cup.

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yup... as long as you forgive my temporary insanity."

She gave me a weird look and shook her head in confusion before I explained.

"Last year and all that... just--- saying you were too young. I'm sorry Bun. For real I was--- I was scared."

"Of...?"

Her big brown eyes were staring into my soul, pulling out the most vulnerable part of me that I didn't even know existed.

"You, Bun... and the way you make me feel. All I want is to never let that smile on your face drop. It makes my days better."

She smiled at me, her face beaming with hope and excitement until she bit her lip nervously.

"Tris, we still have to tell my dad."

Shit.

🖤

ℍ𝕠𝕨 𝕕𝕠 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕘𝕦𝕪𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕜 𝕁𝕠𝕣𝕕𝕒𝕟'𝕤 𝕘𝕠𝕟𝕟𝕒 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕔𝕥?