ch 31: nate

I kept my eye on the clock above the teacher's desk. With just a few seconds left until the school day came to an end, I knew these precious moments by myself would be short-lived.

I didn't move from my seat as the bell rang. The other students all began making their way towards the exit, bottlenecking as they scurried through the doorway, but I knew there was no point in me moving.

It was like clockwork a few moments later. I gathered my things and turned to head for the door, not even a little surprised to see Mariah standing there, holding two protein bars and a sports drink.

She'd been dropping them off for me every day before practice for the past three weeks and about fifteen minutes later, after changing into my football gear, I sat on a locker room bench, finishing the second protein bar.

"Mariah?"

I didn't bother looking at Spence as I nodded, verifying his assumption. Instead, I rolled my eyes a little, huffing as I rolled the wrappers into a tiny ball.

"Dude, that girl has it bad for you."

I sighed again, shrugging as I hung my head. Spencer gave me a look as he adjusted the straps on his shoulder pads.

"Nate, man, why don't you seem more stoked? I mean-- you've got one of the hottest girls in school, and she's all about you. And you're like..."

Spencer shrugged just like I had a moment ago, widening his eyes and making a face for dramatic effect.

I chuckled a little and shook my eyes, knowing he was right. I should be more excited about Mariah; I just wasn't.

"It's Sunny, right?"

A sarcastic chuckle left my lips just before I stood from the bench and grabbed my helmet.

"Seems like it always will be, dude."

🖤