Chapter 4

For a school funded as well as Alexander State, the auditorium chairs were surprisingly uncomfortable. They were built from thin beige plastic, with just enough support to stop the chairs from collapsing underneath you. On the stage, a waist-high podium stood before the assembly of mostly empty chairs, flanked by navy blue curtains that fluttered in an undulating manner. A circular emblem with the same heroic visage as the statue in the courtyard was attached to the podium.

The storm outside continued to howl through every crack it could find, making its approach known. If there was anyone still outdoors, they had mere minutes to find shelter before the downpour began.

Jane was evidently the first to enter the auditorium. The over-polished tiles squeaked against her sneakers as she skirted the edge of the seats, searching for a relatively quiet place to sit.

Her phone buzzed in her jeans. Curiously, she pulled it from her pocket.

[9:22]Beatrice: look who decided to log in

[9:22]Ryder: sry, couldnt log in last night

The text from Ryder was colored as if Jane's phone itself had sent it. Obviously, she had forgotten to log out of his account the night before. Definitely forgotten.

[9:23]Ryder: so wats up?

[9:23]Beatrice: got the rest for u bad boy, meet at lunch

The text ended with Ryder sending a cartoon image of a dog giving a thumbs up.

Jane's curiosity resurfaced, stronger than ever. And along with it, her shame.

Biting her lip, she quickly tapped the button to log out of Ryder's account. This was none of her business. If they were dating, she had no right to see their conversations.

Right?

Jane, coming back to herself, found an acceptable seat somewhere near the back. There, alone in the expansive auditorium, she stewed. She batted one thought against another, trying to will herself to make the right decision.

The voice, ever antagonistic, chastised her at either point. What she was doing was wrong, as it always said.

Another buzz. Jane felt a wry amusement at the fact that her phone was buzzing more in one morning than it had in a month.

[9:36]Vic666: heads up theres another snoreminar

For once, Jane found herself ahead of Victoria. Perhaps running into Ryder in the hallway had been a good thing.

The double-doors at the other end of the auditorium slammed open, startling her. The storm outside has picked up. She hadn't realized how long she'd been sitting there, thinking.

The cacophony of dozens of conversations echoed throughout the auditorium as more and more teenagers entered, filling the chairs.

High above on the stage, the principal stepped out from somewhere behind the podium, pausing to survey his slowly growing congregation. He straightened his tie with stiff, practiced motions.

She glanced around awkwardly, looking for Victoria. Her friend was nowhere to be found.

A tap on her shoulder drew her attention to the right, but it had been a trick. Victoria laughed and took a seat to her left. She smiled.

"Snoreminar? Really?" Jane asked, raising her eyebrows.

It was a truly god-awful pun.

Victoria laughed. "Just you wait. I promise, you'll be asleep before lunch."