Chapter 16

There were few places in Alexander Township that were fancy enough for a proper date, and Ryder knew this. It was for that exact reason that he had chosen something more atmospheric for their initial meeting; namely, the town square.

A massive spire of concrete stood at the absolute center of Alexander, a grimy metal plaque embedded in its side. It had been at least a century since it was legible, and few knew what it had once said. Below, the floor was a circular pattern of colored pebbles, separated by inlaid brick. Ryder knew that from the sky, it resembled a clock. In the day, the shadow of the spire would indicate what time it was. Or, at least, that was the rumor.

He liked that idea. An ancient time mechanism surrounded by the modern hustle of his town. Out of place, out of time. It didn't belong here any more than he did.

Ryder himself was seated on a bench, the name of a long-forgotten mayor inscribed on the armrest. His fingers traced the shallow grooves in the metal, his mind deep in thought.

His eyes drifted to a looming brick archway, which acted as a passageway to the street. A plastic tarp hung by thin ropes beneath the arch. It displayed a photo of his father's smiling face, adrift in a blue background, his election party slogan in contrasting yellow and white. The very image of an American politician. Family oriented, patriotic, and an utter fabrication.

This took some of the joy from his musings. Ryder was reminded of what he was doing there, in the square, with his hair gelled and his shirt awash in cologne.

"I didn't raise you to feel, I raised you to do." His father's words seemed to echo within Ryder's skull. He clenched his jaw.

This was wrong. Toying with Jane's feelings, or anyone's feelings for that matter, was completely wrong. He knew that. Hell, he'd experienced that. Yet he didn't have much of a choice.

Before, when he had been in a relationship with Beatrice, he would fantasize about running away from Alexander. In his most miserable, private moments, he would picture himself just jumping in his truck, turning the key, and never looking back. He would imagine a life somewhere, free of expectations, maybe with someone he loved at his side.

Perhaps somewhere less chilly, too, he mused. Ryder's forearms felt strangely cold without his jacket.

But that wasn't how reality worked. Everyone he knew and everything he owned was in this town. He was paralyzed. Trapped, here, in Alexander, under his father's thumb.

His thoughts stopped as a short, waifish figure passed beneath the archway. Her green eyes seemed almost cat-like at this distance, flashing across the square with focused alertness.

There she was, he thought. There she was.

Her red hair had been curled ever so slightly, and it spread like a veil around her shoulders. A faint breeze tossed a few strands across her face, and she reached up to brush them away. Ryder realized he was holding his breath.

He understood the gravity of what he was doing. All he had to do was find out what she knew, nothing more. There was no reason for him to hurt her any more than needed. Or himself.

Ryder stood slowly, his legs sore from the exertion of football training the day before. He waved at her. She seemed surprised to see him for a moment, before returning the gesture.

He reached her first, just before the concrete spire. They looked at each other, neither speaking, for a moment. Ryder wasn't sure what to say.

"Hey," Jane said.

"Hey."

Internally, Ryder felt like shaking himself. He just needed tot find out what she knows, he reminded himself. There was no reason to complicate this. No matter how captivating her eyes were. No matter how soft her lips looked.