Chapter 26

It was so late at night that Jane could swear the sun was peeking up from the horizon, lighting the sky in royal purple. What few clouds still remained obscured any stars that were visible in the early morning sky.

Around them, the sounds of Alexander township's not-quite-awake-yet populace were beginning to churn.

Ryder's hand engulfed hers, a thin bit of cloth wrapped around his palm in place of a bandage. The scuffle with Beatrice had not left him unhurt.

"How did you even find us?" Jane asked. She was weary, and her shoulders slumped as if under a great weight, even though Ryder had chosen to carry both her bags.

"I had a feeling. When you asked for Beatrice's address, I knew that there was only one way things would have gone." Ryder sounded grim. It was obvious he wished things had gone a different way.

"You saved us again," Jane said. "That's twice now."

Ryder's pace slowed as he turned his head towards her. Their eyes met. "Honestly... this time, I did it for myself."

Jane raised her eyebrows, waiting for him to continue.

"There's no going back now. It's just a matter of time until my father knows that I've been undermining him."

Jane squeezed his hand. In a way, this was her fault. She'd wronged him so many times now. "I'm sorry Ryder. For everything."

He squeezed her hand tighter, his only reply.

They were nearing the town square, and the chill of the night was dissipating. Jane smoothed her hair back, exposing her pale neck to the quickly warming air.

The same towering spire was visible over the nearby rooftops, bisecting the golden rays of the sun. Ryder was regarding it with an inscrutable expression.

"What are you gonna do?" Jane asked.

Ryder remained silent, same look adorning his face, as they crossed the same archway from their first date. To them, it felt like ages ago, even though it had only been a week.

"... I'm probably homeless now," Ryder said. He sounded almost amused, in a detached way.

Jane creased her eyebrows in concern. "You don't have anywhere to stay?"

They were still standing beneath the arch, looking into the empty courtyard. The rising sun was in full bloom now, illuminating the long-since eroded plaque on the spire. The bricks sparkled with morning dew.

Without a word, Ryder entered the courtyard, Jane's hand still firmly held in his. She hastened her steps to keep up, arm stretched out before her.

With a sigh, he set their bags beneath a bench, and took a seat.

And then he started laughing.

It was a roaring, full-belly laugh that disturbed the pigeons as they wandered aimlessly through the courtyard. Tears streamed from his eyes as he howled, head thrown back in abandon. Jane stared at him, concern growing by the second.

"Ryder?" she asked, tentatively.

"God. If my mom could see my life now," Ryder said, wiping tears of laughter from his cheeks.

Jane lowered herself onto the bench, her hip pressing comfortably against his. She wasn't sure what to say to that.

What would her dad say, if he could see her now?

He turned to her, fit of laughter passing somewhat. "I'm guessing you know about how my dad asked me to spy on you by asking you out."

Jane paused, then nodded. She'd been meaning to bring it up, but hadn't found the right moment. It seemed Ryder had gotten to the subject first, like he always did.