A Meeting Between Shade Flaurante and the Academic Coordinator

RE: Being Put in the Same Section as Tobi Marinova

DATE: July 15, 2019

The Academic Coordinator's office is cold from the air-conditioner and cramped with drawers filled with student files. SHADE FLAURANTE walks in looking distressed. MRS. GONZALES is sat at her cream-colored desk, expecting his arrival. She stops playing ANG HULING EL BIMBO as SHADE shuts the door behind him.

SHADE
Good morning, ma'am.

MRS. GONZALES
Good morning, Mr. Flaurante.

SHADE
(huffs, clearly annoyed)
Ma'am, why would you do this to me?

MRS. GONZALES
(taking off her glasses)
Well, why shouldn't I?

SHADE
(paces around the office)
It's—it's deeply impractical! It's unneeded competition! Why would you put me and Marinova in the same section if you knew, with all due respect po, that there would be an issue with our academic rankings?

MRS. GONZALES
Nako, Flaurante. Are you telling me how to do my job?

SHADE
(shrugs)
Do I have to?

MRS. GONZALES
(warningly)
Flaurante.

SHADE
I was joking.

MRS. GONZALES
(chuckles)
What's a good school year without a bit of competition? Besides, you know I can't do anything to help you anymore.

SHADE
(pouts)
Are you sure?

MRS. GONZALES
Your bribery won't work with me, Flaurante.

SHADE
(stops pacing)
Hala, I would never try that, Ma'am.

MRS. GONZALES
(rolls her eyes)
Nonetheless, Miss Marinova needs a bit more motivation these days academically. It was a good decision.

SHADE
Mister Marinova is deeply motivated as he is.

MRS. GONZALES
But are you?

It is silent for three beats.

SHADE
(stops pacing)
With all due respect, Mrs. Gonzales, please be direct with me.

MRS. GONZALES
You seem distracted these days, Flaurante.

SHADE
Does that reflect in my report card?

MRS. GONZALES
(exasperated)
Flaurante.

SHADE
(huffs)
I really don't understand what you want to say po.

MRS. GONZALES
I granted your request to be in the same section as Mendoza and Angelo.

SHADE
(sits in the chair opposite MRS. GONZALES)
And I appreciate that wholeheartedly po.

MRS. GONZALES
As per your letter, you stated that they profoundly elevate your academic performance and mental wellbeing.

SHADE
(tilts his head)
And they do.

MRS. GONZALES
So, I don't see a problem.

SHADE
Sorry?

MRS. GONZALES
I don't see any issue with Ms. Marinova being in the same section. Since, your mental state, academic performance, and may I add—motivation—is significantly heightened by the presence of Angelo and Mendoza...

MRS GONZALES smiles sickeningly sweet as SHADE groans. He thinks for a moment with his tongue against his cheek.

SHADE
(tentatively)
Is there really nothing you can do...? Last minute section swap? Fifteen-thousand pesos, an easy transaction...?

MRS. GONZALES
Flaurante!

SHADE
(sighs)
Fine.

MRS. GONZALES
Fine what?

SHADE
(grumbles)
I'll do my best po.

MRS. GONZALES
(smiles sweetly)
And I know you will, Hijo. If there is nothing else you wish to discuss with me, you should go back to class.

SHADE stands up. At the same time, MRS. GONZALES resumes loudly playing Ang Huling El Bimbo on her record player. But as SHADE reaches the door, he hesitates with a hand on the doorknob, opening it only by a fraction.

SHADE
Mrs. Gonzales? May I ask you about one more thing?

MRS. GONZALES
Of course. What is it, Shade?

SHADE
Do you think I'll do okay?

MRS. GONZALES
I know you will do more than okay, Shade.

SHADE
(mumbles)
Then why did you pick Tobi instead of me to go to Nationals last year? For the annual Math quiz bee?

MRS GONZALES
(worriedly)
Tobi?

SHADE
Marinova.

MRS GONZALES
She—I'm sorry, I need to get used to this—he was the best candidate at the time.

SHADE
I worked hard last year, though. I got a 99 in Math my entire eighth grade. And a 98 again in ninth grade. I was hoping...

MRS. GONZALES
I was looking out for you. You had a lot going on last year. Nationals in swimming, your academics, your Dad...

SHADE
But I thought you believed in me.

MRS. GONZALES
(face softens)

I do believe in you, Anak.

SHADE nods quickly as MRS. GONZALES gives him a long, thoughtful look.

MRS. GONZALES
Go back to class, Shade. You'll do well.

SHADE
Yes, ma'am. Thank you po for your time.

SHADE walks out the door as the record player sings, "Na tinuruan mo ang puso ko, na umibig ng tunay."

- -
why is this written in a script format?
well
you guys will just have to find out 🥰
leave a vote and some feedback!
- yana