XVI

Trigger Warning: Underage Drinking (Kind Of)

"Are you almost done?" She asked impatiently as White typed furiously at the terminal.

"Almost." He whispered back. "There. Krell should be trapped in the command center, unless he uses his lightsabers." He sat back and sighed. He logged off the terminal. "Now what?" 

"Find a hiding place? Hope nobody was using the refresher when you did that? Wait for the others? I don't know." She shrugged.

"I thought you were supposed to be the master mind!" White hissed as the hallways sealed off around them. "We're stuck here anyways. I only left the armory and the main gate open." He sat down against a wall. "I guess we just pretend we had nothing to do with this?"

Cav sat against the wall opposite from him. "Sure. That works." She snorted.

They made a few failed attempts at small talk before there was an explosion and the sound of broken glass. Cav sighed.

"I should have brought my helmet. Then we could listen to the comms." She sighed. A piercing shriek tore through the air. They both flinched. "On second thought..." she trailed off.

"Yeah." Whiteout agreed. Minutes ticked by before the walls lifted. White levered himself up carefully, stretching his arms and offering her a hand Cavalry didn't take it, grabbing her crutches and hauling herself to her feet. Whiteout dropped his hand awkwardly.

Once Cavalry grabbed her helmet again and could check for new orders, she found that Umbara had been declared liberated and that they would be going back to the Resolute that night along with the 212th. The orders came from Kenobi, so Cav gave the benefit of the doubt and trusted them.

They walked by several brothers in the compound as they headed to the courtyard. Some were looking shell shocked and numb. Some had tear streaks. Others were laughing and yelling, but it didn't sound happy.

"Must've been a horror show." Whiteout muttered.

"They were killing vode. I'd be surprised if anybody would be ok after this." Cav shrugged.

"You don't seem so bothered." He pointed out. She shrugged.

"We weren't there. We did everything we could. We didn't kill our brothers." They entered the courtyard and Cav broke away to check on Neon. He seemed alright, mostly shaken. The Captain was no where to be seen.

"Cav." He breathed as she approached, looping an arm around her shoulders. "You're ok. I thought Krell would wipe the compound before..." He trailed off, shaking.

"I'm fine, Ori'vod. We shut the compound down and left Krell in the tower." She said quietly.

"Wondered why the doors didn't work." A new voice said. Fives leaned against a nearby stack of crates.

"Lieutenant Jailbate." Neon saluted him with a grin. "Don't you have a court marshaling somewhere?" Fives shrugged.

"The charges were dropped due to that son of a hutt's betrayal. The Captain is dealing with him now." He said. "Speaking of the Captain, I wanted to talk to Cav for a second." He motioned her away. Hesitantly, she followed him out of earshot.

"I know I was a bit harsh last time we spoke." He started. "And I probably could've handled it better." Cavalry folded her arms and cocked her head, staring at him expectantly. "And... what I'm trying to say is sorry. I'm not used to having a little sister-"

"I'm older than you."

"-and my first instinct is to put you in a bubble so nothing could touch you." He finished. "And you are not older. You're like seven."