XLVI

Cav walked nervously through the halls of the Resolute, her footsteps echoing hollowly in the empty halls. Despite her friendship with Ahsoka she had only been through the jedi quarters a handful of times.

After a second she knocked on Ahsoka's door hesitantly.

"If my husband sent you I already told him he doesn't get to peek until-" The door slid open to show Ahsoka in a simple dressing shift with half done light makeup. She paused when she saw Cav then gave an un-commander like squeal in excitement and hugged her friend.

"Cavalry! You're back!" She pulled away and gave her a mock stern look. "You heard nothing, got it?" Cav raised her hands in surrender.

"Absolutely nothing. Congratulations, by the way." Cav grinned. She takes a deep breath. "I take it you've been getting ready for the party on Onderon?" Ahsoka lit up.

"Yes, actually. Here, come in." She stepped aside and let Cav into her quarters. Two cots had been pushed together to make a wider bed, blankets spread over to cover the seem. Cav smiled a little at Rex's armor stacked neatly on top of a small footlocker in the corner. An alcove made for a closet for Ahsoka, but a spare set of blacks hung in the back of it.

Next to the bed was a low vanity with a small mirror, covered in pallets of pigmented powder and several pieces of jewelry stacked haphazardly. Laying on top of the bed was a beautiful blue dress and a matching veil, as well as a plastoid bracer shaped to fit Ahsoka's arm and painted in her colors.

"I'm really not one for parties but it is fun to play dress-up some times. I got out my ancient makeup that Padme gave me a lifetime ago and figured I'd try my hand at it." Ahsoka chattered excitedly. "How'd you know about the reception on Onderon?"

Cav rubbed her arm nervously. "Actually, that's why I'm here. Fives invited me to go with him so he wouldn't have to bother with a date. And... even though technically I'm considered a clone I figured my dress uniform wouldn't be appropriate."

Ahsoka rolled her eyes fondly. "Help yourself. I think a couple dresses in there would fit you."

Cavalry eyed the closet warily. They didn't resemble the heavy gowns Senator Amidala had her training in... gingerly she picked up a maroon and black dress and showed it to Ahsoka. Her friend nodded and Cav slipped into the refresher to change.

Military life and food that was to keep them little more than alive had left her without the curves to quite fill the dress properly, but it fit alright.

An old pair of soft black boots were offered, with just enough heel that Fives wouldn't be able to attempt to use her shoulder as an arm rest.

Ahsoka applauded and made Cav do a twirl for her as she stepped out into the bigger room.

Ahsoka adjusted the powder on her face, highlighting her markings and applying a faint shimmer to her eyelids as Cav sat on the bed braiding her hair. She opted for a slightly fancier one than she normally did, similar to the one Neon had left her with. After a split second she decided to let the braid hang long down her back.

A little more prep on Ahsoka's part, settling the silver bangles and the complicated veil in place, and they were good to go.

Cav's first thought as she stepped into the evening light was that Neon would have loved Onderon. The lush vegetation surrounded the open aired pavilion where the party was being held.

Cavalry hung back, spying Fives and the Captain talking in a corner. She watched Captain Rex's brain screech to a halt when he saw his wife. Fives saw her and approached cautiously.

"Ahsoka lent you a dress?" He asked. Cav nodded and smoothed her hands over the skirt.

"Yeah. Figured it'd be more appropriate than my dress uniform. Besides, I haven't finished fitting it yet so it looks kinda funny on me."  She shrugged.