ENTRY 13 : outliving

" Please...don't go... "

TRIVIA

The concept of Soulmates and soulbonds in my headcanons are pretty complicated per say. Monster Soulmates aren't really a 'meant to be, destined for each other trope', rather defined as a soul who is compatible with theirs. Soulmates are really dependant on how well the two souls resonate with each other and once a monster finds their soulmate, they can try getting to know each other and then establish a romantic Soulbond.

A monster or human can have several people who are compatible with their Soul across their life. Now, when the Soulbond is completed during their wedding, this tie CANNOT be broken unless the two Souls gather up enough intent to shatter it. Said intent usually stems from hatred or strong dislike. This was seen by Toriel and Asgore when they divorced. 

A soulbond can also be broken if the being's soulmate dies and the result to this is usually catastrophic in a way. The surviving soulmate may loose HOPE and their will to live and fall into a deep depression for the rest of their lives. Pain like that is usually unbearable and they may end up resolving to follow their soulmate's fate unless they still have other reasons to keep living; such as a child or a family member. A Soulbond that is severed due to a soulmate's death is something that the surviving mate can never move on from. Since you know...this shit deeply affects the Soul, i.e the very culmination of our being and stuff.

Now, monsters and humans can form Soulbonds; prior to the war, there WERE a few hybrids who were sired between a monster and a human and their own descendants moved on to become mages. However, Soulbonds with humans were also risky. While monsters had weaker bodies; they could live longer lives since their bodies aren't entirely organic; thus preventing deterioration.

Humans on the other hand, with more solid organic bodies could age and die with their shorter life span. If a human had a monster as one of their Soulmates, they can live a longer life thanks to the work of magic; but there is still a higher chance that their monster soulmate will still outlive them at least a few more years, even if the two had a child together.

So, how will the skeletons react to outliving their human Soulmates?

Vanilla (UNDERTALE ! SANS) : 

❥ He knew that this would come; I mean he actually researched over and over just to make sure if human and monster souls were compatible enough for a Soulbond...but this...it still HURTS.

❥ Sans doesn't know what to do, seeing you like this...dying it's painful to watch.

❥ A part of him doesn't want to see this; he doesn't want to bear witness to losing you; not after the number of times he's seen his brother and friends die in the Underground thanks to the RESETS but another part of him wants to stay and help you through this.

❥ And stay he will. 

Mantilla (UNDERTALE ! PAPYRUS) : 

❥ He knows what he has to do and even though it tears him apart, he will stay by you till you're gone.

❥ Mantilla will cry; cry a lot more than he usually lets himself.

❥ He'll try to spend as much time as he can with you; make your last few days as memorable as possible.

❥ He doesn't want any regrets. Thinking of the time the two of you spent together, talking and showing as much affection as he can.