2

The Fold. A place Anya had hoped to never have to set foot in. The dark looming mass filled with nightmare creatures waiting for their chance to carry you away. A place where many people have ventured and only a few who had been lucky enough to escape.

"Here's how it goes" A voice booms throughout the deck, snapping Anya's attention away from the Fold. An Inferni by the name of Katsya walks down the deck looking at every single person on board the skiff.

"We go into the Fold, it gets dark but we like the dark, that keeps us from drawing attention! That's how we travel." Anya looked up towards the sails locking eyes with Zoya, a fearful looked etched on her face. Zoya nods down to Anya as if to say 'you'll be alright'. Anya turns her attention back to the crowd.

"The only light we use is the blue one at the mast." Anya announces pointing in the direction of the blue lantern attached to the mast. Being one of the Generals top soldiers, she was the lucky ones to the lead the expedition into possibly certain death. Note the sarcasm there.

"It's weak but safe!"

"But you're both Inferni, right?" One of the cartographers questions behind Anya. "Why are you here if we're suppose to keep things dark?" Anya stayed silent allowing Katsya to answer.

"For the when the comes to keep you." She says with a cynical tone in her voice.

"Where's you're general? Kirigan?" A young man asks walking closer to Anya, hoping that she would be able to provide the answer seeing as she was a high ranking officer. Before she could respond however, the sails opened signaling that it was time.

"Ready for launch!"

"That's our cue." I announce making my way towards the center of the ship. The Katsya motioning for Zoya and the other squallers to start moving the ship.

Anya was still as she watched the fold get closer and closer. She fiddled with the sleeves of her blue kefta, a nervous habit she had picked up over the years as she stared dead on with the fold.

"Right, listen to me, cartographers." She heard Sergeant Yure address. "Until we reach the western dry docks, you are to remain at your station. Do not, and I repeat, do not leave the skiff during the crossing." He exclaimed turning his body to Anya, nodding towards her. She nods back taking that as her cue to address the cartographers.

"Now listen up." She yells, the wind brushing her loose hair in her face. "In the Fold, there is no room for error, once we enter you must remain as quiet as possible, any form of loud noises could bring the volcra right to us. And if we are attacked you are to hide and stay out of sight. Does everyone understand me?" They all nod. Anya turns her body back towards the direction of the fold

"Have you crossed the Fold before?" Anya jumped not even hearing a person walk up to her. She looks to her left to see a young shu girl who looked about the same age as Anya, looking at her with a timid expression.

"No" she answered honestly, not wanting to lie. "But I have been training my whole life for this moment. If anything happens you will be okay." The girl sends a short nod in response, accepting her answer.

Anya watched as the fold peered closer and closer, the rumbling from the Fold much louder than before.

"In we go" Anya whispers as the darkness swallows the ship.

~

I've decided to split the episodes into multiple chapters, cause I don't know if it's just me or not but I love long stories I feel like it gives you more time to truly appreciate it. Also not sure what the name of the girl who in the show who does address them so I just came up with a random one.