26

Anya sat at her vanity trying to get ready for the fete. After her encounter with the Phoenix Anya asked to not be disturbed by anyone. She put down her brush letting out a loud sigh. She glances over at the 'Legend of the Phoenix' beside her. She picks up the book and opens it landing on a page with a detailed drawing of a figure with flames a large Phoenix dancing around her.

'Discovered to be the oldest living entities to exist in the world. The Phoenix is a powerful living force thought to be sent from the Saints themselves. The first sighting of the Phoenix powers was discovered in a small village in the Shu Han kingdom. A young girl believed to be one of the first discovered Grisha after Morozova himself started experience bursts of uncontrollable energy destroying everything in its path. Subject talked about hearing voices in her head and a mysterious dark shadow following her wherever she went.'

She jumps at the sudden knocking on her door. The door begins to open and Anya quickly moves to hide book.

"I said I didn't want to be disturb." Anya snapped.

"Not even by your best friend?" Anya quickly whips around coming face to face with Zoya. A large smile overtakes her face and Anya quickly stands from her seat and rushes into Zoya's open arms.

"Zoya!" Anya yells wrapping her arms around Zoya's neck. Zoya returned the hug wrapping her arms around Anya's torso just as tight. They held onto each other for a few moments longer before Zoya pulled away and grab Anya's cheeks gently.

"Did you honestly think I'd miss your big presentation as the Phoenix Summoner?" At the mention of the presentation Anya's big smile slowly turned into a frown.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Zoya asked noticing Anya's sudden change in mood. Anya bit her lip looking away from Zoya's gaze. All Anya could think about was her conversation with the Phoenix. This creature, whatever it was that was inside her as been the cause of the voices she's heard, the surges of power that make it feel like she wasn't even in control of her body. Maybe she wasn't.

"Nothing." Anya said shaking her head. Zoya sighed slapping her hands against her thighs as she watches Anya sit down.

"It's obviously not nothing...you don't have to lie to me Anya, I know you better than anyone." Anya sighed knowing she was right.

Zoya realizing Anya was going to say anything more on the matter slowly walked up behind her and placed her hands on her shoulder.

"Please..."

"Okay..." Anya whispers after a moments pause. "The truth is, I'm terrified. There's something inside me...something that's apparently been there my whole life. And whatever happened in the fold....woke it up." She finally admits.

"What do you mean woke it up? What is it?"

"I don't know...all I know is that when it takes over, I can't control it." Tears start to well in her eyes.

"I don't know what to do Zoya." Anya whimpers. Zoya quickly moves to wrap her arms around Anya. Anya grasps onto one of Zoya's arms currently wrapped around her neck.

"Whatever it is...we'll figure it out together." Anya nods tears running down her cheek. It breaks Zoya's heart seeing her best friend like this. Sure as children Anya's powers were unpredictable and sometimes destructive, but she has never once in the time she's known her seen her so scared.

"Everything's gonna be okay...." Zoya cooes.

I promise

~

I love Zoya and Anya's relationship so much!!!!! More of a filler chapter. The fete will be the next chapter and y'all knows what happens there.