23

Anya stood in front of one of the many windows in the palace for the second time that day watching as all the entertainers invited for the fete set up their tents and acts for the nights events. She clutched the pendant around her neck thinking back to the soldier she had met a little while ago. There's no possible way it could be Kaz. She hasn't seen him since she was a child.

'No it can't be' she thought.

Soft whispers began to fill her ears. She looked down the hallway confused. She hasn't heard the voices in weeks. Why are they back?

"Anya...."

Out of the corner of her eye she sees a shadow pass on the wall beside her, she snaps her head to the side to check but finds nothing there. She looks down the hallway again to see a dark shadow figure standing at the end of the hall. She went to step closer when she began to feel a daze take over.

"Anya...." She grunts stumbling back grasping her head trying to silence the voices. The voices gradually got louder and Anya could feel whatever was inside her trying to push itself out. Flashes of the dark figure with a Phoenix flying around them invade her mind and she feels her eyes flash and her hair raise.

"Stop, stop, stop." Anya grits through her teeth. She feels a surge, and her vision begins to blur. She doesn't understand she thought she had it under control.

"Anya?" The voices stop and Anya vision focuses. She lowers her hands slowly and look over her shoulder to see Alina and Genya slowly approach her.

"Are you alright?" Alina asked concerned for her friend. Alina watches her friend as she seems to be in some sort of daze. Anya looks down the hallway again to see the shadowy figure gone. She nods slowly though not entirely sure. Alina takes Anya hand and guides her back towards the window with a smile on her face.

"We have to go outside!" Alina states looking at the entertainers in excitement.

"No!" Genya scolds.

"Oh come on! It's like Butter Week." Anya and Genya share a glance their brows furrowed.

"In Keramzin, noblemen would drive their carts around with all kinds of cheeses and breads." Alina explains "then they'd open their estates and put on carnivals with traveling troupes." Alina's smile quickly turned into a sad frown.

"Orphans weren't allowed, but Mal and I used to sneak out." Anya placed a comforting hand on Alina's shoulder.

"It's not safe. Someone might recognize you. Both of you." Genya reasoned.

"We can wear a scarf-" Alina says.

"Or a hat-" Anya added joining the fun.

"Or two hats." This caused both girls to laugh and I turned caused Genya to laugh. Genya thought a moment before looking at the guards and then back.

"What about them?" Genya whispers nodding her head to guards. Alina giggles giving Anya and Genya a small smirk.

~

The girls strut across the grounds through the various tents and stands giggling amongst themselves.

"Where did you learn to be so commanding?" Anya giggled holding onto Alina's arm.

"I was imitating Baghra." Alina and Anya laugh loudly while Genya slightly chuckles. They reach a stage and Genya pulls Anya's arm back to stop her.

"Okay, that's enough. Let's go back."

"LADIES AND GENTLEMAN" A voice booms throughout the grounds. "I PRESENT ALINA STARKOV AND ANYA DJAR!" A smoke bomb goes off on stage and two girls wearing a yellow and red dress emerge from the people covered in black cloth. Anya chuckled watching both girls flail and jump around imitating them destroying the fold.

"Well this is awkward." Anya chuckles. Alina nods her head in agreement.

"Should I tell them." Alina says taking a step forward.

"Alina, no!" Genya exclaims stopping her unaware of the sudden attention received from a disguised Jesper who stood off to the side of the girls.

"Not everyone knows what you two look like. If we get caught here..." Genya trails off watching the ring leader scold the performer. A voice calls Genya's name from behind her and the three girls turn to see an angry looking Feydor stomp up to them.

"What we're you three thinking?!"

"Feydor it was our fault, we insisted." Anya quickly says trying to defend Genya from Feydor's wrath. He drops his facade and starts laughing uncontrollably seeing the girls faces.

"I'm sorry I was trying my Ivan impression. How did I do?"

"A little too convincing, if I didn't know any better I say you were Ivan." Anya chuckles.

"Well lucky for you dear Anya, you do." Jesper's eyes widen hearing the name. He didn't think he would've been able to find them this easily.

"Now, let's hurry out of here because my better half might come looking." Feydor says taking hold of Anya's arm escorting all three girls back to the palace.

"Well, that's news." Jesper says taking in the new piece of information he's discovered.

~

Sorry for the late delay, it's been a crazy busy few days for me. I'll try to post the next chapter soon.