Chapter 17

I’m going to start out by saying I am not a mother and I don’t truly know the experience but I asked my father to clarify some things to try and make this accurate but if any of you reading my story is a mother or knows a mother and wishes to correct something please feel obliged to do so.

I woke up to a nurse shaking my shoulder and she looked a bit sheepish, “I’m sorry I didn’t want to wake you but the doctor wanted to attempt to breastfeed.” I sat up with a yawn, “it’s alright.” I shifted uncomfortably, “so how does this work?” she gave me a comforting smile while slipping on a pair of gloves, “well I’ll need you to move the gown down exposing your breast so I can make sure little Talia here latches on correctly.” I felt a bit horrified, “I assure you we do this for every mother who had their first child but once I make sure she’s latched correctly you can cover up.” 

I gulped and slowly nodded leaning forward a bit to undo the knot of the hospital gown. It slipped down a bit and I held it in place while she grabbed Talia, “ok now just expose whichever breast you’d be able to position comfortably with.” I shifted onto my right side a bit and slipped down the left side of my gown. She laid Talia on my chest and watched as she latched on, she made a few quick adjustments with Talia’s head then placed a feeding blanket next to me, “you can cover up now if you wish I’ll be back in a bit to check up on you two.” 

I nodded but still realised that Luke was still here, “wait can you update me about my friend Luke is he okay?’ she smiled sadly at me, “all i can tell you is that he’s stable for now but he’s not out of the woods yet try not to worry too much about that just worry about you and that little baby of yours.” I looked down at Talia and my heart melted as her hazel eyes locked with mine. She looked so much like Derek it honestly hurt a little bit but I pushed that aside and just focused on the fact that I was now a mother. 

After fifteen minutes she stopped feeding and began to fuss. I tried to think of possibilities why then I realised I was supposed to burp her. I sat up properly and threw the feeding blanket over my shoulder and adjusted Talia so her head was just above my shoulder and patted her back. It took a few tries but I finally got her to burp and I grimaced as I moved the now spit up covered feeding blanket off of my shoulder. I laid back down and placed Talia back on my chest watching as she dozed off. 

I watched her for a while not being able to wipe the smile from my face before movement in the doorway caught my attention I looked up to see Daniel, “hey.” he smiled at me, grabbing a chair and placed it next to the bed, “hey.” he stared at Talia, “she’s absolutely gorgeous.” i nodded, “yeah she really is.” I smiled again as I saw her tiny fist clench my hospital gown in her sleep. I looked back up at daniel, “do you want to hold her?” He stood up and gently grabbed her and I unclenched her fist from my hospital gown.

“She has your cute little button nose.” he looked around, ”Where's Luke?” I sighed, “we were in an accident on the way to the hospital so far all I’ve been told is that he’s stable.” he stood up and placed Talia back onto my chest then turned towards the door, “I’ll go check on him.” I gave him a grateful smile, “thank you.” he walked out of the room and the nurse returned shortly after him. She grabbed Talia from me and placed her in the portable crib thing and grabbed a clipboard, “alright how long did she feed for?” 

I clicked my tongue, “probably for about fifteen minutes or so.” she wrote that down, “alright and did you burp her successfully?” I nodded, “yeah.” she wrote that down as well, “alright I’ll take her to the nursery area where her vitals will be kept and I’ll bring her back when she needs to be fed.” I nodded, “oh is there a possibility of getting a phone so I can alert the father because mine was left in the car wreckage.” she rummaged through a few of the cabinets then pulled out a landline and plugged it in next to my bed. 

“You’ll need to dial #92 then the number and it should work.” I smiled gratefully, “um thanks.” she nodded at me and I waited for her to leave before I followed her instructions and dialed Derek’s number. It was late and I didn’t expect him to answer but I was still slightly disappointed when I heard the automated voicetone then the beep, “hey Derek I know I’m probably the last person you want to hear from but I have some news.” I took a deep breath, “you have a daughter by the name of Talia Quinn hale.” 

I fiddled with the itchy hospital blanket as I continued, “I’d understand if you never wanted to see me again nor meet her but I just thought you should know.” I went to hang up but stopped, “Derek...I thought you should know I’m sorry but you were only in more danger with me there I felt I was protecting you.” I shook my head, “ask Stiles about my location if you’d be interested I’m sure he’s figured it out by now.” I hung up then dialed Stiles’ number, “hello?” I smiled at his tired tone but it was obvious to me that he was doing his regular research while high on adderall. 

“Hey Stiles.” I heard him walk then a door shut, “Stella?” I chuckled, “hey Mischief how’s it going?” movement from the doorway caught my attention again and it was Daniel returning and i held my finger to my lips and he nodded sitting back down next to me, “where are you?” I sighed, “you already know Stiles.” a confused noise came from him, “but I don't.” I sighed again, “yeah Stiles you do just think hard about it I’ll see you soon.” I hung up not saying anything else knowing if I did he’d figure it out quicker than I wanted him to. Daniel sadly smiled at me. 

“Stiles is your cousin right?” I nodded, “why didn’t you tell him where you were?” I shrugged playing with my fingers but Daniel placed his hand on top of mine stopping me from doing that, “c’mon Stella you can tell me.” I swallowed thickly, “because I know he’s upset with me.” he sighed, “yes Daniel I know he deserves to be upset with me since I just up and left and didn’t contact them for five months.” he nodded, “but if he truly loves you he’ll forgive you and you should also be honest with him about why you left.” 

I nodded and he kissed my head, “Luke is okay he’s not away but he only has a couple of stitches and bruises so don’t worry I’ll see you in the morning now get some rest.” he leaned down hugging me before leaving me alone in the room. The only sound besides my breathing was the annoying beep of the heart monitor but soon enough I managed to fall asleep.