I Drink Black Coffee, John

Ash

Screech!

Screech!

I slam my hand down on my god awful alarm clock. I really need to get a new, less annoying one. I groan as I stretch my muscles like a cat before sitting up in bed. I yawn and look around my small, bare room. I have been bouncing from foster home to foster home ever since I could remember. I was too young to remember my parents before they gave me up.

I take a quick shower and let my wavy hair dry. I put on my light blue ripped jeans and a black hoodie. I slip on my high top converse and grab my car keys before walking out of my bedroom.

I walk into the kitchen to see John standing at the counter, sipping his coffee. He turns to look at me as I come into view. John lost his wife, Adriana, a year ago from cancer and he is still fostering kids like me.

"Hey kiddo, are you ready for school?" He inquires.

"Yup, I am just grabbing some toast for breakfast. Is there enough coffee for me?" I ask hopefully.

"Yes, here," he hands me a cup, "I made it just the way you like it."

I chuckle, "I drink black coffee John."

"Exactly, I never mess it up," he laughs before he goes all serious. Oh no. "I want to speak with you about something after school. Can you come straight home after?"

I nod and grab my toast before heading out the door to my car. He wants to talk? Usually that means that I will be off to another foster home. I really wish I was adopted when I was young because I am almost eighteen and I will be forced to live on my own. I am not ready to be on my own yet.

***

I walk into home room and take my seat at the back of the class by the window. I lay my head down on the table and close my eyes to wait until class starts.

"Asherah. Asherah. Asherah!" I hear someone yell and my head lifts off the desk quickly.

"Yeah?" I respond.

"You were asleep. You need to pay attention young lady," Ms. Reid tells me. I nod my head, internally rolling my eyes.

***

Lunch rolls around after a long, boring few classes. I walk from my locker to the cafeteria and get in the line for lunch. I wait patiently until I feel someone's gaze on me. I start looking around before I am attacked from behind. I look over my shoulder to see Cress hugging me.

"Hey Cress," I greet.

"Hey, what's bothering you?"

I smile shaking my head slightly at my best friend. She always knows when something so up. As I think about what I will tell her, my smile drops.

"Let's get lunch first," I tell her.

"Okay."

I grab some pasta while Cress gets a slice of pizza. We walk over to our secluded table in the back and sit across from each other. I still can't shake the feeling that I am being watched. I look around me, but I can't seem to catch anyone watching me.

"So, tell Dr. Cress what's going on," Cress tells me. Ever since I met her almost a year ago, she has been like my free therapist and she calls herself a doctor.

"John said he needs to talk with me after school," I sadly say.

"What?" Cress whispers. "Doesn't that usually mean...?"

"That he is sending me back into the system. Yeah. I think I will have to move soon."

It's too bad, this is probably one of the places that I have stayed in the longest throughout my life. I really like it hear. John is so nice and I have my first real friend here as well.