Chilling In the Woods Like a Maniac

Ash

"A what now?" I ask the strange man.

"A Mura. They are a powerful being that are only seen in times of crisis. They are usually sent here for a purpose so that is why I am so confused. How do you not know who you are?"

"W-what? I have lived my whole life on earth. I wasn't 'sent' here by anyone. I was born here," I tell this crazy guy.

"Born here? Who are your parents?"

"I-I don't know. I was put up for adoption when I was little."

"Hmm," he hums. "Okay then, you are a curious little one but I have no reason to keep you any longer. Where are you headed off to?"

He's letting me go? Just like that? "My house. I went out for a little hike and I am on my way back."

He nods, "Make sure you learn to cover that scent of yours, you don't need the wrong person seeking you out."

I nod and walk around him towards my home. I sense him standing there, watching me walk away. I can't believe he just let me leave. Maybe, I take a deep breath, maybe I was wrong about werewolves. Maybe not all are bad.

Cover my scent? How the hell do I do that? Do I smell bad? As I walk, I focus on my nose and I take a deep breath. I can smell forest, moss, mud, water, and...something sweet. I can't even describe the scent. It's like chocolate, strawberries and flowers of all sorts. It's beautiful. Is that me? Is that what I smell like?

Let's think about this logically. Well, as logical as you can get with the supernatural. I radiate a scent of sorts and I need to stop it. Where does it come from? My skin probably. I focus on that, on what is making that scent, and then I cut it off. Well, more like bottle it up, put a cap on it so to speak.

I close my eyes and take another deep breath. All I can smell is earth and the forest. No sweet smell. I smile and start doing a little happy dance before I run into a tree. I fall back on my butt and let out a laugh at my stupidity. I shake my head and stand up, brushing the dirt from my pants. I pick up my duffle bag once more and continue my trek.

That's when I hear it. A person laughing. I turn around and glare in the direction of a boy laughing his ass off.

"What?" I snap at him but he just continues to laugh.

"You-you just ran into a tree. How-how did you not see it?" He manages to wheeze out between laughs.

I roll my eyes and turn back around to continue my walk. I can still hear his wheezing as I walk away from him. Who was that guy? Fucking weirdo. Wait.

"What are you doing out here in the woods?" I ask as I turn to face him. His face goes blank.

"I could ask you the same thing."

I roll my eyes, "I'm walking home, what's your excuse?"

"Uh..." he says as he thinks of a lie.

"Never mind then, just leave me alone," I grunt and continue walking. I don't want to wait around for him to make up some stupid excuse.

"Hold up. You smell like a..." he begins as he sniffs the air. Shit, did I not cover my scent properly? "Well, you smell faintly of a wolf. Other than that you smell like a human. What's a human like you doing hanging around with wolves?"

"Why don't I ask why a wolf like yourself is doing laughing at humans?" I take a wild guess that he is a wolf, hoping I am right.

"Ah, so you figured it out huh? What was it that gave me away, they sniffing thing or the whole chilling in the woods like a maniac?" He asks as he pretends to write down notes.