|06|

-ˋˏ *.·:·. [ TWO WEEKS LATER] .·:·.* ˎˊ-

CHARLOTTE UNFORTUNATELY FELL ILL AFTER HELPING STOP THE BURNING FIRE. It got to the point where her mother called for the doctor, the illness wasn't serious but it had her in bed for the better part of two weeks. During the time she was bound to her bed, since her lungs felt too heavy to do anything else, she had a few friendly faces that came and visited her. The morning following the fire, Gilbert pretty much spent the entire day at the Rayhill's household. He kept Charlotte company and made her laugh even though it was painful to do so, they read books and had discussions throughout the day that had Charlotte feeling the smallest amount better. He did come over a few times over the weeks but his visits were less often than everyone else's, because of his father and since he was helping to rebuild the Gillis house. The one time he came over during the week, he told her about Anne and Ruby bringing food for all the workers and how Anne had stood up to Billy Andrews.

Anne Shirley-Cuthbert paid a visit a couple of times, she spent the time trying to cheer Charlotte up with stories that she created off the top of her head, Charlotte was particularly partial to one about a Princess Cordelia. She and Anne created a few stories of their own, usually themed around something scary about the woods. It wasn't very helpful towards Charlotte's fear of being alone in the woods but she enjoyed creating them all and rereading the ones that they wrote down.

Tillie Boulter visited more than anyone else. They would talk about everything and anything that naturally came up in the conversation. Tillie kept Charlotte in the loop of the goings-on in Avonlea, all the gossip and things that Mother paid no attention to. The two would play a few games and when Charlotte was feeling better after a week they would take slow walks around the grounds outside her house. Mother was just happy to see that she had a friend like that, one that would spend time with her no matter what. Sure Gilbert would do that, but there was something different about her daughter and Tillie's friendship. 

Each person brought a different type of conversation, each refreshing in different ways and Charlotte couldn't have been any more grateful for the three people that she called her friends. The illness eventually left, as most do, and she was left waiting for their house to be rebuilt so she could return to school.

-ˋˏ *.·:·. [ FOUR DAYS LATER] .·:·.* ˎˊ-

CHARLOTTE ONCE AGAIN FOUND HERSELF STANDING IN THE BLYTHE'S KITCHEN TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT SHE WOULD BAKE. With Gilbert gone half the time she stepped in to keep John company and when he would take a nap or respectfully request a moment alone with his thoughts, Charlotte would either take to cleaning or bake something for the two. She cleaned the day previous so today she decided that it was time to bake. She had just left the room as John requested that his son read to him, she didn't want to intrude so she quickly and quietly slipped out of the room without them knowing. Downstairs was pretty much spotless, you could drag a finger across any surface and not come across a speck of dust, she was a very thorough cleaner. Upstairs was known to be messy but Gilbert had requested that she not go up there, so she didn't. Instead choosing to make her way to the kitchen and pull out one of the ceramic mixing bowls. She opted for baking an apple pie and soon began taking the ingredients from the kitchen cupboards. Gilbert walked into the kitchen, as John had fallen asleep, to see the girl with one foot up on a chair as she pulled the lace from her boot.

"May I ask what you're doing with your boot?" he asked as he leaned on the doorframe with a raised eyebrow. She looked up, after having jumped slightly at his voice, and quickly turned pink in the cheeks. Though she hadn't a clue why she was embarrassed at this point, she was just taking her laces out of her boot surely there's nothing abnormal about that.