|13|

-ˋˏ *.·:·. [THREE WEEKS LATER] .·:·.* ˎˊ-

THE SEASON OF CHRISTMAS CAME AND LIKE USUAL CHARLOTTE FELT ECSTATIC. It was no secret the girl loved Christmas. She would spend hours decorating the front of the bakery as soon as it was socially acceptable to have decorations up. Long, twirling reefs of green and red berries were strewn across flat surfaces, a small decorated tree stood in the corner of the room and the bakery constantly smelt of heavenly spices. The majority of bakes to be sold were now Christmas themed, Christmas cakes, Christmas puddings, mince pies and all sorts of delicious delicacies that had anyone's stomach rumbling as soon as they walked through the door. It was commonly known that Charlotte Rayhill made the best mince pies in Avonlea so naturally, the girl was busy keeping up with demand, obviously making sure she kept a few behind for herself and Mother. Her days were filled with such happiness and love that she wished the Christmas spirit could last year-round. 

There were moments when she was filled with sadness, whether it was about Gilbert, John or the fact that her brother wasn't coming home for Christmas this year. He had a commitment because of school, one which he profusely apologize for in multiple letters so Charlotte quickly forgave him. He was forgiven but that didn't mean she wouldn't miss him. Her sadness was often forgotten when Anne or Tillie came round to the bakery or she went on a walk with Anne. Anne had a thing for the forest outside her house, it held such a spark for the imagination that the two spent an awfully long amount of time between the trees. They would climb the ones that were safe and when Anne sat in one of the taller trees, Charlotte found herself using her long-forgotten painting skills that afternoon. 

Charlotte returned to school a few days after Gilbert left and everyone had been very welcoming upon her arrival. She did particularly love seeing the bruised face of Billy Andrews. The entire schoolhouse was getting ready for Christmas, the younger children stood at the front of the room singing (or attempting to sing) carols whilst the older children worked on creating decorations. 

"Any word from Gilbert, Charlotte?" Anne asked whilst the two, and Moody Spurgeon, sat cutting shapes in folded paper for snowflakes. This question came from either Anne or Ruby once a week and every time she gave them both the same answer. 

"No, nothing. He's probably too busy." 

"Mhm, Do you suppose it's true that no two snowflakes are alike?" Anne asked whilst trying to pry a piece from the triangular shape she cut into the paper. Moody shrugged slightly glancing at Charlotte as she nodded her head. "I hope so it's kind of comforting, isn't it," Anne added going into a conversation about Christmas. Charlotte was particularly outraged when she heard that Anne had never experienced a proper Christmas, she then made a note to get her a present so she could experience the joy. 

"The Cuthberts had to mortgage their farm, isn't that sad," she overheard from Josie Pye, rage built in her stomach as she followed quickly behind Anne. The girls all turned their heads at their arrival and Tillie looked to Charlotte knowing the look on her face all too well. Tillie slowly made her way to stand next to her and placed a single hand on her arm, trying to prevent anything that would be regrettable as Anne spoke. 

"Josie Pye you take that back!" Anne exclaimed without a hint of her usual happy demeanour. 

"Why are you upset, It's only tired your poor!" Josie shot back giving Anne a look to suggest that she was beneath her. This vexed Charlotte further and she felt the sudden need to voice her opinion. "Do you at least know if they're going to keep you?" Josie asked without sincerity, she didn't care for Anne, only wanted to know if she was going to be thrown back into the orphanage. 

"Keep me?" Anne exclaimed. The thought clearly hadn't crossed her mind as the colour drained from her face, Charlotte could see the thoughts in her head turning into troublesome ones.