|45|

-ˋˏ *.·:·. [THIRTY SECONDS LATER] .·:·.* ˎˊ-

CHARLOTTE REACHED THE DOOR TO HER BEDROOM AND IMMEDIATELY STOPPED IN HER TRACKS. She could sense that someone had touched something in her bedroom and the slight appley scent in the air told her who it had been. Gilbert Blythe had not only been in her room but had touched something in there even though he knew that she hated when people do that. She was about to shout down the stairs to her mother, asking why she had let the one person who she didn't want to see right now into her room when her gaze landed on her dresser. Laying near a dried red tulip lay a piece of her own paper, folded with her name scrawled across in black ink. She picked up the letter and turned it over in her hand, the want to rip it up into tiny pieces flooded the rational thoughts of her brain. But luckily Charlotte was a dreamer, a daydreamer who had already begun to speculate about the contents of the letter and with a deep, shaking breath she opened it up.

Dear Lottie,

I feel I must unburden my heart, you are the fond object of my affection and desire. You and you alone are the keeper of the key to my heart. Don't worry I don't expect you to return my favour but I can't in good conscience not reveal myself. I'm not engaged nor will I be unless it's to you.

I'm so sorry if I ruined everything with Anne, she would never compare to you and it was never my intention to cause you any pain. I am terribly sorry for hurting you, it's truly one of my deepest regrets. I should have listened to my father, he always said that he could see the two of us together, later on inlife of course. That I had the perfect person to live my life with. He said that the sooner I realise it the sooner I could be happy. That you were someone that I shouldn't let go of easily and now I realise that every single word is true.

You and you alone have the power to make me laugh, the power to make me feel better just with a smile or a hug. You are one of the most caring people I have ever met and I promise you you're not second to Anne, she's second to you. I just thought that you would never feel the same and I should move on, now I realise that I don't want to move on. You are the only person I see my forever with.

Tá mé i ngrá leat Charlotte Rayhill. I have since the day I first walked into your bakery and I always will.

Forever yours,
Gilbert Blythe

P.S I leave at noon for the train today, I hope to see you.

Charlotte's breath hitched in her throat multiple times as she read. He wasn't engaged, he didn't love Anne and he had told her that he love him. In Irish, he had told her he loved him. With a shaking hand over her mouth and one holding the letter she gazed at her Father's old pocket watch on her shelf and saw that it was twenty minutes to noon, twenty minutes until he would leave on the train. She dropped the letter, hitched up her skirt and ran.

From Gilbert's house to the train station it was a ten-minute carriage ride meaning he wouldn't have left quite yet. From her house to Gilbert's house it was approximately a five-minute run. If he hadn't left for the train yet she would catch him. She ran out of the Bakery, nearly knocking into a customer on the way which her Mother apologised for while laughing. She laughed a laugh of relief, her daughter had finally realised that what she wanted he wanted to and Mother knew that she wouldn't stop until she got what she wanted. Charlotte weaved through the small stones littering the dirt path out of her house, being extra careful not to trip because that could add extra time. She ran through the fence and headed straight for the path through the thinner part of the forest. She dodged logs, low hanging branches and the odd animal as she pushed her legs to go further and further. Running in a corset was hard, the restriction was hard but she wouldn't let that stop her. While running her hair got in the way too much, it got so bad that it became something that it would stick to her face so while running she tied her hair up with the shoelace once more. She got out of the forest and ran straight for the door to his home, knocking so frantically she worried the glass would break.