|46|

-ˋˏ *.·:·. [AFTER THE TRAIN GOODBYE] .·:·.* ˎˊ-

GILBERT BLYTHE SIGHED AS AVONLEA GOT SMALLER AND SMALLER IN HIS VISION. His heart tugged and pulled itself into knots that wouldn't be undone until he set foot on the soil of Avonlea. When he could see her again. But he could find ways of coping. Throwing himself into his work would be one that he had used over and over in his life and the other? Writing letters. A simple letter would relive the turning, knowing that the one person he loved most in this world would be on the receiving end of them. How could it be possible to miss someone this much so quickly?

Charlotte Rayhill smiled softly on the horse ride back to her home, the ghost of Gilbert's kiss still fluttered across her lips. It was a slow ride, letting her catch her breath before getting back to Bash's home. A home full of memories with only one curly-haired man woven between them all. And honestly? I didn't hurt as much as she thought it would, being there without him was hard but stepping into the doors spread comfort to her toes. It still smelled like him. How could it be possible to miss someone this much so quickly?

-

Dear Lottie,

Would you laugh if I told you I am writing this on the train? I just needed a way to relieve the turning thoughts in my head and talking to you always seems to fix that. I just have a few things that I felt I needed to explain, I would do them in person but I can't now. At least not for a little while.

I don't want to force you to relive the whole scenario that has taken up the past few months of our lives but I just need you to know how sorry I am. Truly, from the deep depths of my heart I am so sorry for treating you in such a way. I tried to see you earlier, to explain all this and so much more but Rían wouldn't let me in a hundred feet of your house - not that I blame him. But I'm not trying to make excuses, just trying to enforce to you how sorry I am about everything.

I have been paused at this part of the paper for at least fifteen minutes. All I can do is stare at it and the window, trying to sort some order into my own mind so the words make sense on paper. And I just can't find the perfect words to describe anything right now. All I can think about is you. How you looked coming off that horse, with your hair flying everywhere in the wind and rosy cheeks. And your smile is permanently etched into my mind, I already want to see it again. Oh and that hazel speck in your eyes, they're beautiful Lottie. Did I ever tell you that?

I hope your first day at art school goes perfectly and you find it to be everything that you want, and many times more because you deserve it all.

Ta mi ngre leat,
Gilbert Blythe.
(I'm not sure if I spelt that right)

-

Dear Gil,

I did laugh and I'm sorry, well not really. Mother passed me your letter just as I stepped out the door, heading over to Tillie's school for the afternoon. So I am too writing this on the train, just a little later than you were. I think that's the world working in its funny ways.

You do know the right words to use to make me blush don't you Blythe? Honestly, this woman on the train (she looked awfully pompous) gave me such a glare as I laughed with blushed cheeks. It's not fair, I'm not very good with words. Paint and charcoal are a different story.

Speaking of paint, my first day at school went absolutely perfectly. Cole was a massive help, he showed me around and walked me between classes so I had no chance of getting lost. The place is huge, believe me. There are a few people in my class that I have taken a liking to, especially this one girl. We have sort of a friendly rivalry going on which ends each week. I won, by the way, my piece of that week got the better response from the teacher. The teacher was lovely too, she taught me how to get the right technique for the smallest of shadows that makes the paintings so much better. It's really amazing to be surrounded by people that are all passionate about the same thing but show it in completely different ways. I do hope your school is going well too.