𝐎𝐍𝐄

How It Feels To Truly Be Great

•••

Some people are born for greatness.  For others, it's great they were born. 

Not to be boastful by any means, but I can confidently say I'm both.

At different times, too.  The depth of the human brain can be a real shocker when you sit down to think about it, especially to those with more linear lives.

Rather than the traditional track, I live a life closer to a parabola.  It's all the same line, but it heads in two different directions.  Multiple sides of the same coin. 

On the one hand, you've got (Y/N) (L/N).  The girl people know as a friend.  She'll give you homework answers or spot you fifty cents in the lunch line.  She'd comfort you crying in the bathroom, regardless of if we'd ever met.

This is the me everyone knows.  My friends.  My teachers.  I like her.  She's me, she's likable, I'm honored to be her.  She works.  Her... I suppose it's pretty great she was born.

But on the other hand, you've got Affinity.  Superwoman in a white spandex suit.  She's known for saving the world and healing pain.  She's got a bit of a... bear with me here... affinity for it.  She's strong, and she's honest, and most of all, she's also me.

This is the me my parents know.  The me my fellow heroes know.  Affinity, I have no doubt, was born for greatness.

Together, that's who I am (although at the end of the day, Affinity is only powers and a suit).  Two of the same soul completely intertwined.

"Alright, get a load of this one," my friend William said over my shoulder as I grabbed my stuff from my locker after school ended. "I saw a poll on Instagram earlier. Affinity or Atom Eve. Who would win in a fight?"

"Neither of them are villains," I remarked, shoving loose papers and books mindlessly into my bag. I wasn't even sure what I had for homework, so it was safest to grab it all. "They wouldn't fight."

"I didn't make up the question. C'mon, make some effort here. I know you're thinking it.  How do their powers interact?"

I closed my locker with a slam and gave him a shrug.  "It depends on if Affinity could channel any of Eve's powers.  We know she can collect and dispel pain, but would she be able to do it against someone who fights ranged? Someone who can hit without throwing a punch?

"I think Eve's stronger.  But Affinity has more resilience and unpredictability.  Unstoppable force meets the immovable object."

"You've always got such calculated answers on this stuff.  Do you ever think about anything else?"  William asked, looking at me like I had sprouted a third eye.

Honestly, no.  The answer was undoubtedly no.

"Well, there's always work and-"

Suddenly, my watch chimed with an alert.  It was an annoying high pitched ditty that had came terrifyingly close to getting me kicked out of multiple exams, and meant someone somewhere was wreaking havoc. One of the Guardians must've spotted something.

Duty calls.

"I'm sorry, William, I have to take this.  Meet you at Burger Mart later?"  I called, already taking jogging steps to the nearest bathroom.