𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐈𝐈𝐈

Things Humans Do

•••

Willam's behavior as soon as he was left alone with Mark and I was somehow more erratic than I had ever seen him.  The minute Rick left to attend the rest of his classes he was ecstatic. He talked at speeds rivaling an auctioneer and it seemed he had an endless list of questions.  Although now would be a perfect time to come clean, I worried his brain would spontaneously combust.

"How long have you been a superhero?  How long have you known?" New questions came spilling out of William's mouth before anyone could answer the original ones.

"William," Mark groaned.

"I'm your best friend!" William exclaimed. "Best friends don't just not tell each other they're superheroes!"

I shrunk in on myself slightly as he said that, shooting Mark a subtle look.  I pursed my lips, feeling the slight bit of guilt I'd always felt just a little harder. 

"Can I go flying?  Please?" William begged.

"You should take him flying," I suggested with a nod. Mark shot me a pointed look.

"Have you been flying?" William exclaimed, his eyes bugging out of his head. "This is so not bro code! I mean, I get it, but to make it up to me you better take me right now or I won't forgive you."

With a grumble, Mark grabbed William and the pair shot out the window. I could hear William's hoots and cheers at they flew at rocket speeds, wind rustling in their hair. I knew the feeling all too well, the air knocking out my breath and my stomach dropping.

When they got back, William was wind blown and wide eyed. "That was awesome!" he exclaimed. Mark sighed. "Can I try on your suit?"

My face perked up. "Can I?"

Mark scoffed, shaking his head. "What? Guys, no. Hard no."

"Worth a try," William commented with a shrug, looking to me. I frowned slightly, although now that the idea was planted in my head I wasn't planning on dropping it.

William still had half a million questions to get through before he was finally relaxed enough to chill out. He sat on the couch, calling Rick. He was planning to leave soon, to grab something to eat and surprise Rick with a walk back. He wouldn't be staying long. From the guest bedroom, I could hardly hear anything.

With William in the other room, Mark and I got a chance to reconvene. I stood beside him, investigating his skin for any sign of bruises. He allowed me to remove his shirt, my fingers brushing lightly against him. I stopped over anywhere I saw an injury, taking the little hits as my own.

"We make a good team," Mark commented, shivering slightly as I touched a bruise. "You're just as strong behind the scenes as you are on the field."

"Not like I did much of anything today," I remarked honestly. I wasn't going to take credit for anything I didn't do.

"You shouldn't have had to. Neither of us could've predicted that," Mark responded. "There's a reason Infinity is such a good name for us.  We're perfect teammates."

I smiled. Together we could be infinite. Everything and anything.

"If you let me try your suit I'll let you try mine," I offered, running my hand over a scratch down his lower back. I slowly paced around him, looking for anything I could heal.

Mark shook his head, chuckling. "I wouldn't even fit in your suit. You have to make me a better offer than that."

"I'll give you a kiss," I offered. My hand floated up to his cheek where the lightest scrape rested. I ran a finger over it, the skin immediately returning to its neutral shade.