30

before leah could comprehend starting eighth grade, her mind was overthrown by fretful ponders of her upcoming hockey system. as much as she enjoyed school, it didn't seem to be her biggest priority anymore.

leah didn't want to leave her life in edina behind. her fluffy, cuddly chickens, her mango smoothies, her favourite place in the entire world - her pond. to no one's surprise, leah either spent all her time with her chicks or spent all time upon the raft trying to clear her mind.

the banks mother was rather concerned, as any mother would be. she noticed the late arrivals home, the sudden quietness cats over the home, and the frequent unmade bed on the upper floor. most importantly, she noticed that leah wouldn't even let adam come with her to the pond. adam didn't seem overly bothered, but it was evident he was effected by leah's behaviour, too.

if someone asked leah to recount the last couple months of summer, or even the recent transition from summer to fall, leah wouldn't be able to recall a memory. she'd been so caught up in her own thoughts, or completely zoned out for days on end, that the last few months seemingly blended into one blurry week. she felt like a grain of sand, stuck on the shore and constantly being pulled in and out to sea.

———

"oh, look at them!" adam and leah's mum gushed as their father proudly held a newspaper out in front of his wife.

"saw it on my way into work - in black and white i almost couldn't tell the difference between them!" the banks father laughed, finding his own comment a little too funny.

adam looked up from his bowl of pumpkin soup with a frown. "what's in it?" the boy asked, receiving an immediate frown from his mother for talking with a spoonful of soup in his mouth.

"my superstars." their father slid the print over the table, happily cheering to himself.

"we're in the paper?" adam exclaimed, "just for playing hockey?"

"you're on the national hockey team, adam," leah sassed, peering over to the newspaper, "and we don't even look that similar." she scoffed. adam rose his eyebrows in agreement, though simultaneously mocking his sister's newfound attitude.

leah could help but notice the photos below the headshots of her fellow ducks. new ducks to join flock: julie gaffney, luis mendoza, dean portman, dwayne robertson and ken wu.

for the first time in weeks, leah felt some excitement to meet her new teammates. and with adam sat beside her at the table, leah knew she wouldn't be alone. with charlie as their captain, she knew their team would be great no matter who they played against or with.

———

not even a week later, adam and leah were dropped off at the minneapolis rink to meet their new players. sporting their earthy green jerseys, the ducks prepared to play against team from across the world.

"don't trip, chocolate chip." lester remarked as connie stumbled over the mats.

"you saw nothing, averman." she huffed with a pointed glare.

lester's mouth dropped in offence. "god, when did girls get so moody?"

"yeah," adam appeared at his side with a hockey stick in hand, "tell me about it."