11

"it was your doing, wasn't it?" adam faced leah from his side in the backseat of the car, right as their dad parked the car in their driveway

"are you kidding? no, why would you even think that?" leah shook her head at the accusation.

"it wouldn't surprise me, with your stupid crush on charlie conway." adam spat in distaste, scoffing as his sister glared at him.

"why would i sacrifice the hawks for that?" leah growled as their dad turned around with a huff.

"because you're desperate for attention from a boy who literally hates your guts! you're not a loyal hawk." adam raised his voice in frustration as he insulted his sister. leah's eyes brimmed with tears, and adam only felt slightly remorseful. he was too angry and it made sense that leah was involved in changing their team. leah contemplated adam's words; charlie and her certainly weren't close, but they were friends, right? he didn't hate her, right?

"i am a loyal hawk!" leah defended. she claimed she wouldn't have tried in their games if she weren't.

"no—"

"adam! that's enough," their dad shook his head as adam unbuckled his seatbelt, "i'll negotiate to keep you both on the hawks. don't go beating down your sister."

"well who else could have switched us, then?" adam angrily piped up.

"not me." leah hissed, jumping out of the car and slamming the door shut. she couldn't stand adam sometimes. at least she had her chicken eggs - who were only part-developed and probably more mature than her own brother.

the following week at school was torturous. adam and leah's dad negotiated with coach reilly, his boss mr ducksworth, the peewee organisation and gordon bombay. apparently they devised a plan where adam and leah could finish the season with the hawks and then the district borders would be re-drafted for the following season. leah was ecstatic when she found out, as was adam, until their dad told them that bombay refused and started quacking at mr ducksworth. it was all gordon bombay's fault.

adam and leah completely ignored each other from sunday through to tuesday night, when they realised they now only had each other. when mcgill and larson found out about their change in team, they (along with the rest of the hawks) dropped the two. and for the first time, adam and leah were the ones subjected to their childish teasing. all of their friends had been hawks, and now they had no one but each other.

leah assumed the ducks had also found out that adam and her were joining their team, because they would glare at the two twins in the halls every chance they got. it was like they knew adam and leah had been rejected by everyone else.

adam and leah sailed out on the raft every morning and afternoon that week. they sat next to each other on the bus. they only talked to each other. and in that week, adam and leah were closer friends than they ever had been before and leah wouldn't have wanted that week to go any other way under the circumstances.

sitting on the raft friday afternoon was full of nervous anticipation for adam and leah, knowing that they were playing their first hockey game as ducks the next day. it wasn't too late to decide not to go, but adam and leah both knew they would not give up hockey. they just wanted to play, together. especially now.

"we'll stick together, right?" adam asked for reassurance as they pulled the raft back to the riverbank.

"no, i'm going to ditch you for charlie conway." leah joked, smirking as adam rolled his eyes.

"we'll prove to those hawks that we don't need them. we only need each other." adam revelled, finally seeming prepared to fight back at their former teammates.

"oh, you don't even know, adam."