7

the next sunday, adam invited leah to rollerblade around with him, larson and mcgill

the next sunday, adam invited leah to rollerblade around with him, larson and mcgill. leah was aware the summery days were starting to diminish as autumn came around, so she agreed to go only to be able to cherish the gentle sunbeams and seasonal breeze.

adam pestered leah to wear her hawks jacket, no matter how many times she refused. he almost had to shove her arms into it before she finally complied. leah was just going to wear a long sleeved shirt, but adam insisted she would get cold and sick. she appreciated his care, but she knew he only wanted leah to wear their hawks merchandise just so he wouldn't look as crazily obsessed with his own team.

leah only really appreciated adam's forceful suggestion once they were speeding down the street on their rollerblades, where the summer-autumn breeze was cool and much harsher than the breeze during midsummer. as larson and mcgill lived on the other side of district six, they agreed to meet in the heart of minneapolis. unfortunately, it meant there could be some rival interactions. fortunately, there was a chance of seeing charlie conway.

"we should get smoothies," adam thought aloud as the twins turned a sharp corner, "we haven't gone smoothie-hunting since school started."

"i wouldn't mind a mango smoothie." leah agreed calmly, focusing on weaving around the swarming pedestrians in front of them.

once they met mcgill and larson, they pursued their smoothie hunt. to leah's approval, the smoothies and time spent with her teammates was exceptionally nice. well, until they stumbled upon the district-five team in an alleyway. larson and mcgill snickered menacingly, smugly rolling toward the arguing group of kids.

"guys, let's just leave," leah tried to avert their attention, "adam, mcgill, larson; let's go." she instructed, to no avail. adam pulled her along into the alleyway with him, not allowing leah to snatch her arm from his protective grip and skate away herself.

"i was just kidding!" the voice of peter bounced off the walls as his teammates teasingly compressed him into the wall. larson quickly snatched a playboy magazine from young dave karp, leading mcgill and adam to follow him into a line as karp protested with a lousy 'hey!'.

"hi girls," mcgill greeted as leah only rolled her eyes. the three hawks began to circle the group of district five players whilst leah defiantly refused, "does your mummy know you have that?" mcgill babied.

"nah, she's busy with the mailman." larson coined in,

"that'll make great bathroom reading." adam acknowledged, ignoring his sister as she scoffed disgustedly.

karp spoke up angrily, "that's mine you jerks, i found it."

"you don't even know what to do with it, wussbreath!" mcgill spat, still circling around the losing team.

"boys!" leah chimed, catching their attention, "that's more than enough, let's go." she scolded them with an eye roll. they would not quit.

before she could get any closer to drag them away, karp charged towards her three teammates like a bull. the three hawks shoved sweet little karp into a pile of trash bags before he could lay a hand on any of them. the boys, both hawk and district five, groaned at the incident. leah accidentally collided with a few of the district five players in her path as she tried to pull adam out of the conflict.

"watch it, hawk!" peter spat at her angrily, as leah only huffed frustratedly.

"watch your mouth around my sister." adam rolled to his sister's side, glaring at the boy with daggers.

"c'mon, let's just go." leah ushered with annoyance, pulling adam away and hoping that larson and mcgill would follow. adam roughly shouldered charlie as they passed him, leaving leah frustrated at her teammates and their defiance. "sorry, charlie." she apologised on behalf of her brother, only receiving an icy glare in return.

suddenly, a tall boy collected larson and mcgill by their hoods. they hovered in mid-air, squirming foolishly as the members of district five laughed at them. the laughter only increased when the two hawks players were thrown into the same pile of garbage cans.

"get out of here!" the district five players shouted at different times, insulting the four of the hawks players with distasteful and unnecessary insults. well, at least leah thought the insults thrown toward herself were unnecessary - she didn't even do anything!

"you suck, banksies. cheats!" charlie conway fired at the two twins with his hands cupped around his mouth. leah pushed adam out of the alleyway, trying to convince herself that they were only envious of their teamwork. they didn't cheat and she knew it, but it didn't stop leah from feeling frustrated with her charlie. and leah didn't get frustrated with charlie, ever.