5

leah's mother wasn't too pleased when she heard about leah's science fair idea and how insistent she was on it, but her father thought it was a great idea

"and what do you plan to do with those chickens once they hatch?" she sat into her hip with a stern look on her face. milk splashed onto leah as adam dropped his spoon into his bowl of cereal,

"yeah!" adam agreed, "i don't want to be walking into chicken turds whenever i go outside." he scoffed, collecting another spoonful of cornflakes.

their father came over and rested one hand on adam's shoulder and the other on leah's, "now, now. i think having chickens will be great!" leah nodded eagerly in agreement,

"please! i'll take care of them and their mess, i promise. i'll clean up after them, feed them, everything!" leah pleaded, praying that her mother would give in. whether it be because leah mother knew leah's heart was set on this science fair idea, or that she wouldn't quit pestering her, their mother let out a sigh.

adam groaned as he waited for the confirmation he knew was coming, "please say no, mum! mcgill and larson will never come over again." leah rolled her eyes - she was growing those chickens whether it was in secrecy or her own backyard, no matter how many times adam objected.

"i suppose it's worth a shot," mother complied as leah victoriously cheered, "on one condition! any mess you leave behind and we're selling them right away. deal?"

"deal, thank you mumma." she grinned excitedly. leah could not wait! adam huffed, "what's your idea, adam?"

he glared as he held his spoonful above his mouth, "i obviously don't have one yet."

that friday, leah chose to skip out on cornflakes and take an apple instead, only so that she could get to the bus stop early.

the sun was only just rising, and she wanted to sail out onto the pond on her raft to watch the sunrise. the sky was already a faint shade of purple, and the half-moon was still glowing in the sky.

leah knew she would be bus-waiting for an hour by leaving so early, but she knew it would be worth it. sunsets were enjoyable, but the sunrise would be a whole new experience. leah had already been paddling out into the middle of the lake when the dusty orange and pink in the sky was reflecting into the serene waters. she could see the fish waking up and slithering through the rippling waves. she could see the seagrass waving beneath the surface of the water. she could see the bubbles of oxygen from fish bursting as they reached the heights of the water. and when the sun peeked over the trees, she could see the beams of sunlight glistening on the rippling water. it was beautiful.

before leah knew it, all the other kids had already arrived at the bus stop and were eagerly awaiting the last school-day of the week. she paddled closer to the bank, inhaling a breath as she saw charlie conway walking up to the bus stop.

"charlie!" leah called out with a grin, "you should come out here, you can see everything!"

he shuffled uncomfortably and stumbled over his words, "um, no thanks. i have- um- a bus to catch."

"me too, silly." leah chuckled as the bus rolled up. she hurried off the raft and sat in the seat behind charlie and lester averman.

leah held her breath as she sniffed the air, detecting the hint of apple shampoo and feeling the everblooming cherry blossoms erupting in her stomach.

"see you on the ice tomorrow!" she said as she departed, feeling the heated, rivalling glares of the boys from the opposing team.