chapter 2: Bestest Friend

Mike had been in the school for a few months now. She was able to keep herself secure a while as a high-functioning normal school girl, even if Dib kept trying to convince the others she wasn't. She was alone in the cafeteria, picking at her peas with her lunch that she was forced to get, but couldn't digest anymore. Ever since Mike found out about her true identity, she had a strong aversion towards anything that wasn't meat. She should probably talk Jen into packing her lunch for her before she would be in the 'Hi Skool'. This town is so poor, not even the EDUCATION system had proper spelling or decency.

"That new kid's a freak," a popular blonde girl named Jessica spoke up to her clique at her table. "I think her name is Mime or something."

"Hmm?" Mike turned her head, hearing the girl from far away with her super sensitive hearing.

"She's been here long enough to at least make some loser friends, like that creepy kid Dib." Jessica glanced at the weird boy of class.

Dib heard that, glancing back at her as he was sitting with his sister.

"Or those rejects in the corner," Jessica added, pointing a girl with big braces over her teeth and purple hair, a strange frizzy haired boy with an orange shirt, a black boy with a black shirt and skull on it, a boy with puffy orange hair in a blue shirt that had a rainbow on it, and an oddly colored boy with green hair. "But look at her, all by herself! I mean, what kind of kid doesn't have friends? It's so inhuman!"

Mike felt stung as Jessica said that. She had made a lot of friends in her time, such as Max and Melissa. Not to mention Lu and Og. She was also once friends with a girl who had an evil twin, Samey McAuley. She had been more focused on her new life than trying to expand her new social circle in her new home. Mike decided to get up and make a friend today, hopefully it will work out.

"Umm... Hey, you're Dirge, right?" Mike came to the boy with a skull shirt. "How would you like to be friends?"

"No one ever really wants to be my friend 'cuz I was born with webbed toes like some kind of fish boy," Dirge looked down, then back up at Mike with a crazed expression on his face. "Wanna see?"

"Uhh... No, thanks..." Mike backed up, then went to another boy at the reject table. "Hey, Matthew, would you like to-"

The oddly colored boy screamed at Mike, then ran out of the cafeteria.

"Man, no wonder that kid is a reject..." Mike shuddered at his screaming, then looked back at the remaining students that were left. "Any of you want to be my friend? Let's get to know each other better..."

The kids softly smiled at Mike, not being as strange as the other rejected children.

"Can I know your names?" Mike asked them.

The girl blushed, exposing her goofy smile. "Well, I'm Gretchen... You probably don't know me, but I'm in class with you... I'm really shy and socially awkward..."

"Uhh... Okay... Melvin, is it?" Mike turned to the boy in the orange shirt.

"Yeah, I'm Melvin!" the boy grinned eerily. "I have a collection of dandruff flakes if you wanna see!" he took out a jar with white flakes and came closer toward her. "Come here, take a look!"

Mike backed up and went to the last boy. "You seem harmless enough, you and I can be friends."

"Wow, really?" the boy beamed at her. "My name's Keef, I never won anything before, but I promise to be the best friend ever!" he pulled Mike into a tight, suffocating hug.

Mike blinked, looking down at him. "Uhh... Keef, real friends don't hold on this long..."

"Just a little longer.." Keef CONTINUED to squeeze her.