i. Tricks Up Your Sleeve

"So, do you have any objections to this alliance?" 

"None, Your Majesty," Lysandra answered. 

King Demetri of the kingdom of Thessalia sighed, his age showing for once. "I'm asking this as your father and not your King, Princess." 

Princess Lysandra raised an amused eyebrow. Her father wasn't one to openly express his concern for his children, no matter which one of his wives they came from. She wondered if this Prince Iyan really was bad enough to have her father ask her consent for her marriage with the prince. 

But it's not really consent, is it? She thought as her eyes and her smile grew colder. 

Lysandra knew that her father would have her married to the promised prince no matter her preference on the matter. So, why ask? 

"I understand it's for our kingdom and for the sake of maintaining our alliances with the kingdom of Tibur, Father," Lysandra stated, bowing her head; the picture of demureness and understanding. And for all my years of planning to come to fruition, a light smirk pulled at her lips as she completed the sentence in her head.

King Demitri nodded in approval. 

So, this was what it was about, Lysandra realized. For father dearest to feel good about selling his daughter away to the royal family of the biggest kingdom in all of the Five Kingdoms just to cover up his own mistakes. 

A few very important families in Thessalia had apparently been making trades with the witches of Zouven and word had spread around. The ruling kingdom of Tibur, largest in terms of land, resources, army, and trove of treasure, had made their stance with the witches clear; against.

The King of Thessalia was not foolish, he could not afford to have his relations with Tibur threatened, nor could he afford to lose the support of the nobility of Thessalia. So, in order to maintain good relations with the Tiburians, the King had proposed a marriage between his eldest daughter and Tibur's youngest prince.

Lysandra would've felt all the righteous anger in the world had she not orchestrated the situation to go this way. Besides, she wouldn't have blamed her father either way. His main flaw was greed. But that wasn't anything new. Lysandra agreed that everyone in this kingdom, including her, was a selfish bastard; either literally or metaphorically.   

And yet, she couldn't stop the snort of disgust that escaped her. King Demetri glanced up at the sound, confused and a little weary. 

"I shall take my leave now, Vasilias Mou," she curtsied. "Since the wedding is in eight weeks, I have a lot to do. I'm sure you understand." 

Actually, there wasn't a lot for her to do in regards with wedding itself, but that didn't mean she did not have plans of her own. 

"Yes, yes," King Demetri nodded, his eyes still carrying that weary look that made Lysandra wonder if he could see through her charade. She nodded back curtly and exited the King's sitting chambers.  

Her foot was almost over the threshold when she turned to gaze at the glinting tiara seated on a stool at the corner of the room. Caged in a glass case, the stémma au vasileía was truly a sight to behold. Lysandra knew the King was planning on gifting it publicly to her stepmother.

She eyed the tiara for another second, before leaving.

Jana, her most faithful lady's maid, joined Lysandra as soon as she was out of the King's living quarters. "Cruelty Incarnate headed this way," she warned with a quiet murmur. 

Lysandra's lips quirked in cold amusement, as she looked at Jana from the corner of her eyes. "That's her new name, is it?" 

Jana made sure to keep up with Lysandra's brisk pace. "Royal Claws of Thessalia just wasn't doing it," she shrugged.