vii. A Time for Celebration

"Husband and wife."

The words echoed in Lysandra's mind as she smiled kindly at the crowds of people coming up to congratulate her and Prince Iyan on their marriage.  

It was almost like a nightmare, except she'd wake up on a throne at the end of this.

They were back at the castle grounds for the festivities. Prince Iyan and Lysandra were seated on an elevated platform, decorated with blue peonies, (Thessalians were big on flowers). The other royals were seated on another platform. Though, most of them were mingling with the other people. 

Lysandra turned to Jana. "Is she here?" She murmured, low enough only for the two of them. Prince Iyan seemed to be paying far too much attention to her words and actions, for some reason. His friend, the Tiburian minister for foreign relations, had disappeared into the crowd where the gaggle of young ladies was the thickest. Now the silent soldier from their encounter in Kyricos stood next to him, silently.

Jana leaned down, before staring at one point. Lysandra followed her gaze. "Seems so, My Lady."

The musicians abruptly stopped playing as another figure joined the podium.

Adorned in a flowing white dress, with a single white rose behind her ear, was the daughter of the wealthiest Lord and Lady of Thessalia; Callista Evgénis. Everyone stopped in their tracks as she started singing. 

"What a melodious voice," Prince Iyan murmured from beside her. 

Lysandra raised an eyebrow, surprised he didn't comment on the girl's beauty. For Callista Evgenis was the most beautiful maiden in Thessalia, with hair that resembled fire and eyes that encompassed entire forests.

"Yes," Lysandra agreed, as Callista continued singing. A second later, she caught Lysandra's eyes, and offered her a friendly smile, signifying that this was her wedding gift for the new pair. It was a song in the old Thessalian tongue; about two souls intertwined for eternity. Lysandra was quite sure that the story the song was portraying couldn't have been about two people from Thessalia. 

Thessalia had a very bloody history. Lysandra's mother always said there was a demon in their bloodline.      

Noticing who the singer was maintaining eye contact with, Prince Iyan whipped his head around to stare at her, honey brown eyes narrowing in suspicion. Lysandra cast him a simple smile, and had the pleasure of seeing his eyes widen again in apprehension. 

"Daimona," she heard him mutter under his breath. 

Ignoring her new husband, Lysandra turned to Jana again. "Make sure the King's wine goblet doesn't empty."

"Of course, My Lady," Jana walked off, blending in with the maids.   

Callista Evgenis seemed to be bewitching every male in the vicinity, including the King of Thessalia, and his oldest and only son. Soon, the song came to its inevitable end, and everyone broke out in applause. Lysandra even saw some old lords and ladies tear up. 

She would've rolled her eyes had she been in her chambers. But since she was not, she simply pretended to wipe away a non-existent tear. A low scoff sounded beside her. She raised a judgemental eyebrow at her husband, (or future victim, whatever). "Did you not find her performance moving, Prince?"

"Hers? Yes. Yours? Not so much," Prince Iyan admitted, leaning back in his seat and clenching his jaw. A maid nearby swooned, and another rushed to catch her. 

Lysandra wouldn't deny Prince Iyan of being handsome, but that, unfortunately, didn't make him any less of an insufferable idiot. She wondered what would've happened if she had killed him on that day, a year ago.