VIII

❝So you will be leaving in 3 days with the Empress?❞ Empress Dowager asked looking at her son.

❝Yes, we will go and solve the trading matter there.❞ Zhang Wan said looking at Xu Yang who was sipping her tea quietly.

❝Ah, we are so lucky to have Xu Yang here. ❞Empress Dowager praised her daughter-in-law.

❝This daughter doesn't deserve such praise.❞

❝Don't be so modest, you solved a problem even the old officials couldn't, of course you deserve praise. When you come back from your journey, I will prepare a banquet and reward you.❞ Empress Dowager said smiling.

❝This daughter is thankful, but there is really no need, your majesty.❞

❝Ay, such a good girl.❞

Zhang Wan continued to analyze Xu Yang, recently, he felt an emptiness every time he looked at her cold stare.

❝Did you learned about politics from your father?❞ He finally spoke.

❝Yes,your majesty.❞ Xu Yang said looking at him and then back at her tea cup.

Somehow her cold and short response made Zhang Wan tense up. He expected her to talk more about it, but she didn't. He felt like she tried to avoid speaking with him as much as she could which made him uncomfortable. Zhang Wan knew he treated Xu Yang cold and barely spoke to her until recently, but he still felt wronged.

❝Is there anything else you learned from your father, child?❞ Empress Dowager asked.

❝I learned a lot of things, your majesty. My father gave me the same educations as my brothers. I know how to fight with a sword, even if my talents aren't good since I didn't practiced for such a long time. I learned archery, medicine, in case I'm wounded and I need to treat myself, politics and war strategy. My mother taught me how to play the zheng and flute, literature and calligraphy and even dance.❞

Xu Yang's parents gave her the choice to choose what kind of education she desires and she choose to also learn how to fight and medicine like her brothers who trained to be soldiers. Xu Yang worked hard since she was a child and excelled in both manly labeled activities and feminine labeled activities.

As Xu Yang spoke, both The Empress Dowager and Zhang Wan were speechless looking at each other. An akward silence filled the room after Xu Yang finished speaking.

❝Oh my, you left this old woman speechless, you're so young and yet know so much, a true genius.❞ Empress Dowager said.

❝I'm surprised myself, actually. I hope we can have a friendly match with our swords one day.❞ Zhang Wan looking at the motionless face Xu Yang had when looking at him.

❝It would be my pleasure, your highness. ❞Xu Yang said putting a fake smile on her face.

Their friendly chat was interrupted by a eunuch entering in the room without knocking.

❝Insolent! How dare you enter like this?❞ Empress Dowager shouted.

The man trembled in fear.

❝This low one begs for forgiveness, but there is an urgent matter. ❞the man was on his knees with his forehead pressed on the floor.

❝Speak.❞The Emperor said looking at the man on the floor.

❝Imperial concubine Jong was poisoned!❞ the man shouted.

The Empress Dowager stood up immediately.

❝What? Let's go there, now!❞ Empress Dowager said before leaving with her maids after her.