XX

The Palace was quiet. Xu Yang and Ji An were dressed in men clothing. The three were sneaking their way to the gates. They managed to cross their belongings on the other side through a hole in the wall and then they rushed to the gates. Knocking out the guards will be easier, but also if a servant saw them unconscious it would cause problems sooner than wanted so they decided to exit as normal servants would.

❝Stop right here, who are you and where are you going?❞ a guard asked.

❝We are the Empress's servants, she sent us to run an errand.❞ Jiang Meng said looking at the two.

❝The Empress?❞the same guards asked looking at the other guard.

❝We can't stop them, let them go.❞

The guards moved out of the way and let the three pass. After making sure the guards aren't looking after them anymore they got their bags and rushed to buy horses.

❝Two horses, the fastest you have. ❞Xu Yang said.

Xu Yang payed the man and got on her horse's back. Ji An didn't know how to ride a horse so she would need to ride with one of the two.

❝Ji An, do you want to ride with me or Jiang Meng?❞

❝I'll go with Miss.❞

Xu Yang helped Ji An up and they start riding hoping they would make it as far as they could.

| At the Palace|

Zhang Wan was busy all day with paperwork and now he had the chance to rest, but he couldn't. Despite being so tired, he couldn't fall asleep, he had a bad feeling.

❝Water!❞ he said and the eunuch who stays by his door rushed to get him fresh water.

❝Here, your highness.❞

Zhang Wan drank the water in a breath.

❝Is the Empress asleep?❞

❝I don't know, your highness.❞

❝Go and call her here, I want her to sleep with me tonight.❞

The eunuch smiled, bowed and rushed to call for the Empress. However when he got there, there was no servants or guards. Xu Yang dismissed all of them for the night saying she will sleep early.

"What is happening here?" The eunuch wondered and cleared his throat.

❝You majesty, his highness asks for your company tonight.❞

He waited, no answer.

❝Your majesty, excuse me, I will enter.❞

When he entered and saw no one inside the room nor the bed he felt his knees gave up. How is going to explain this to his majesty. He quickly checked the gardens and kitchen, no sight of the Empress.

❝Your highness!❞ the eunuch shouted entering Zhang Wan's room.

The Emperor lighted some candles and waited patiently in bed for Xu Yang. He got anxious when he heart the panicked face of the eunuch.

❝What is it? Speak! ❞

❝Her majesty... her majesty isn't in her Palace!!❞

❝What? Are you sure?❞

❝Yes, I've checked everywhere.❞

❝Have you asked the servants?❞

❝There was no servants, your majesty.... Please forgive me!❞ the man fell on his knees, scared.

Zhang Wan ran to Phoenix Palace to check for himself, but to no use, Xu Yang wasn't there. He summoned her servants, but none of them knew anything as they were sent to the servants quarters for the night.