4: almost drowning (again)

act one , chapter four 

almost drowning ( again )

"YOU COULDN'T JUST kill him?" Arabella muttered to Percy. He shot her a glare in return.

"Swim for it!" Grover said.

He, Annabeth and Clarisse plunged into the surf. Arabella stood with Percy, not willing to leave without him. Annabeth hung on to Clarisse's neck and tried to paddle with one hand, the wet fleece weighing her down.

But the monster's attention wasn't on the fleece.

"You, young cyclops!" Polyphemus roared. "Traitor to you're kind!"

Tyson froze.

"Don't listen to him!" Percy pleaded. "Come on!"

Percy pulled on Tyson's arm, but it didn't make a difference. He turned and faced the older cyclops. "I'm not a traitor."

"You serve mortals!" Polyphemus shouted. "Thieving humans!"

Polyphemus threw his first boulder. Tyson swatted it aside with his fist.

"Not a traitor." Tyson said. "You are not my kind."

"Death or victory!" Polyphemus charged into the surf, but his foot was still wounded. He immediately stumbled and fell on his face. If it was any other time, Arabella would've started laughing, except he started to get up again, spitting sea water and growling, even more angry.

"Percy!" Clarisse yelled. "Come on." They were almost to the ship with fleece.

"Percy, we have to go now if we want to make it," Arabella turned to him. He glanced at her, and she could see the message in his eyes go.

"Go," Tyson told Percy. "I will hold big ugly."

"No! He'll kill you." Percy wasn't going to let Tyson do it alone. "We'll fight him together."