vi: rescue mission

act one, chapter 6 

act one, chapter 6 

rescue mission 

"One on one," Percy challenged Luke

"One on one," Percy challenged Luke. "What are you afraid of?"

Luke curled his lip. The soldiers who were about to kill them hesitated, waiting for his order. Before he could say anything, Agrius, the bear-man, burst onto the deck leading a flying horse. It was one of the most beautiful pure-black pegasus Arabella had ever seen, with wings like a giant raven. The pegasus bucked and whinnied, and Arabella was reminded of the pegasus back at Camp Jupiter.

"Sir!" Agrius called, dodging a pegasus hoof. "Your steed is ready!"

Luke kept his eyes on Percy. "I told you last summer, Percy," he said. "You can't bait me into a fight."

"And you keep avoiding one," Percy noticed. "Scared your warriors will see you get whipped?"

Luke glanced at his men, and he saw Percy had trapped him. If he backed down now, he would look weak. If he fought Percy, he'd lose valuable time chasing after Clarisse. Arabella resisted a grin.

"I'll kill you quickly," he decided, and raised his weapon. His double metal sword was a foot longer than Percy's blade. Its blade glinted with an evil grey-and-gold light where the steel had been melded with celestial bronze. Arabella could almost feel the blade fighting against itself, like two opposing magnets bound together. She didn't know how the blade had been made, but she sensed a tragedy. Someone had died in the process. Luke whistled to one of his men, who threw him a round leather-and-bronze shield.
He grinned at Percy wickedly.

"Luke," Annabeth said, "at least give him a shield."

"Sorry, Annabeth," he said. "You bring your own equipment to this party."

The shield was a problem. Fighting two-handed with just a sword gives you more power but fighting one-handed with a shield gives you better defence and versatility. There are more moves, more options, more ways to kill.

Luke lunged and almost killed Percy on the first try. His sword went under Percy's arm, slashing through his shirt and grazing his ribs. Percy jumped back, then counter-attacked with Riptide, but Luke slammed his blade away with his shield.