Awakening

A room lit by fire touched torches, shadows dancing along the walls surrounded by blood-red colours as the village chief continues telling the children of this town's history with the stories of The Gates.
    "Some even say that it is soon at hand, but all know that it will be the darkest time in Panarea's history." He said as he looks over the children sitting before him.
    Most of them were half asleep if they weren't already. They had all heard the stories before but since I was only four, it was the first time I ever heard them as I was able to participate in this year's festival. My eyes were as wide as the moons themselves, full of awe and gleaming with inspiration. When the other kids left, the chief spoke,
    "Nia, come here. There's more to this legend than most know," he gently said, "and you are the only one here that seems to want to know, don't you?"
    There's more about them! My eyes couldn't get any bigger, I nodded intensely and waddled my way over to him. He hoisted me onto his knee and continued,
    "This part is only known by few, others may tell you otherwise, but this is true. There was an eleventh member of their group, one who fell from their graces and disappeared from this world leaving no trace of his existence behind." He then paused purely to add effect to the way he spoke, but I just wanted him to continue the story.
    "He is said to rise along with the others, but it is not clear what role he will play when he does. All that is said is that when Heaven and Hell falter, eleven individuals will balance the scales of this world."
Those words stuck to me like life itself; the Legend, the secret, all of it. All I wanted, was to know everything about the Cardelian Gates. I scoured every book in the town, learning as much as I could.
    I was -what some would consider- a special case. Most kids my age were learning which animal made what noise, however, I had already learnt and memorised the entire book of the ten Gates from the town's history, word for word.
    Years passed and my thirst for the knowledge of the gates had me ending up being accepted into the Capital's Magic Academy since I learnt a few spells that the Gates once used. So, I went but spent most of my time in the school's library reading every book that I could get my hands on about the Gates. I didn't really have any friends, I wasn't really a people person. I only cared about learning more about the Gates. However, the few friends that I did have, always tried to get me out of the Library, if they managed that, they at least let me keep a book in hand.

    Nia Vwaigon, a top graduate from the academy. Now at the respectable age of twenty-six and working as a librarian in the Central Library. Most of my school friends have started families now and are trying to find me someone to settle down with too, like they have nothing better to do, I'm not focusing on relationships at this time in my life.
    The Gates are all that I'm interested in, and all that I'll ever be interested in for a long while. I finish work for that day and continue with my usual routine. I grab a News-log from the stand around the corner and stop by the Bakehouse, where one of my friends chosen 'candidates' for me works, order food for some supper and finally visit the Post block.
    I usually don't get any important posts, usually the odd bill or book return notices, but today I get one from my hometown. It says that my younger sister is getting married this fall.
    Wow, even my younger sibling is getting hitched before me. It would look bad if I didn't show up, so I put in a request for time off work as some family leave. The weird thing is that it was accepted, they don't usually let people go in the fall because it is the busiest time of year. So, I shall take advantage of this rare chance.
   Before I knew it, I was on a Land-Carrier headed for my hometown, Cardel. The trip is a good seven hours, and a perfect time to read a light novel. Pulling out an encyclopaedia of ancient runic symbols and definitions, I receive plenty of weird looks, but I continue to read as if they were pigeons on my balcony. I didn't tell the baggage loader what was in my case because it was mostly just books, but he didn't need to know that, and I didn't want any more weird looks.
    I was finishing off the second last rune page in the book before the transporter announced that they were stopping in Cardel. Closing my book, I look up and come to the realisation that I am the only one left on board. For a quick moment, I feel a bit self-conscious about my reading habits, then glad that no one interrupted me. 
    The carrier stops moments later, and I hop off. The baggage loader has the same look on his face as when he loaded my bags on the carrier. They're not that heavy, man up.
    Taking a deep breath in, a hint of nostalgia came rushing back catching me off guard, that was too big of a breath. I open my eyes to regain a sense of balance and see a fine young gentleman standing there staring at me with an odd expression.
    "Are you Nia, Nia Vwaigon?" he eventually asks with a hint of worry?
    "Yes, I am. Whom may be asking?" I reply, trying to sound as high class as I could without sounding stuck up, coming from the capital and all.
    "Croan, Miss. Croan Trimble. Ummm, sorry, but is there anyone else that we are waiting on?" he questioned. Don't you dare start too; I get enough of this from all of my friends back in the capital.
    "No, I'm afraid I'm it. Are you new in town? I don't seem to remember you."
    "Yes, I am, I moved here a few years ago and I'm also the one having the honour of taking your sister's hand in marriage"
    This poor excuse of a jerk, really!!! Come on sis you could have done so much better. If you're gonna aim low you're gonna score low. I mean he probably is higher than most of the guys in this town, but still.
    "Ahh, so you're the one I've heard so little about," I said with a smirk so clear that even a winged rodent could see it.
    "It appears that I am, shall I carry your luggage?"
    "Sure, I don't mind." This guy is good, isn't phased one bit by what I said. But he is defiantly phased by my luggage. I can see him trying not to struggle.
    "Did you want me to carry them?" I said trying to hide the humour I got out of watching this.
    "It's fine," he said as he hoists them onto a motor cab. "I got this."
    It's only a five-minute drive into town and another two before we arrive at my old house, I was happy to walk, but I'm sure Croan is glad he's driving there because that means he doesn't have to carry my stuff all the way.
    It isn't that heavy; I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The house looks exactly the same from when I left twelve years ago, apart from the smoke pillar in the middle of it. So dad can buy nice things.
    As soon as I step out onto the ground, my father rushes at me, all teared up and trying to speak but couldn't make a sentence through all the waterworks.
    "Dad!" I manage to say before two arms wrap around me. "There, there." I'm glad I'm not a lost puppy cuz I'd be smothered to death at this point. He still couldn't say anything, so I slowly pat him on the back to comfort him and stop this deafening sound he calls weeping.
    "I'm gonna go put these in your room for you," Croan said. I just gave him a thumbs up and smiled. Don't hurt yourself, tough guy.
    "Where's Mum?" I asked
    "Inside, cooking dinner" He finally spoke.
    "Considering you're the village chief and all, you're a real softy, you know that, right?"
    "I don't care," he said lifting himself off me "My daughter has come home after so many years."
    "I haven't been gone that long."
    "It still felt like an eternity. Having you home should make things feel whole again."
    So much for Alaine, speaking of which,
    "Where is Alaine?"
    "She's gone to town for some supplies, we weren't expecting you until tomorrow, so we weren't well prepared."
    "I'll go find her; I need to give her some advice on choosing... specific things that could better help her in life"
    "Alright, just don't be long, your mother still hasn't seen you yet."
    "I'll be back before you know it." And at that, my Dad starts crying again, but I walk away trying to keep my composure at this point.
    The town hasn't changed much since I was last here, Surprisingly Mrs Bridon's Bakehouse is still open. Wasn't she like eighty when I left? good on her. I take in the aroma from the flower shop and the new trinkets from the traders.
    The fountain in the town centre is still here. Thinking back, I used to walk along those rocks pretending I was one of the Gates on a dangerous mission. Now, all I can do is look on, as the rock wall looks like it could give at any moment.
    Turning away, something shining in the water caught my attention. Did some travellers think this was some kind of good luck well?
    Getting closer to inspect it I see that it is a rune - slightly faded - but still a rune. It was the same one in the book that I was reading on the carrier, one of the last ones I looked at before hopping off.
    Was that always there? What is it, it was near the end so maybe water? No, the book only had runes from R-V, maybe vexed, it was second the last one, so U. Under? Underneath!!
    "UNDERNEATH!!" I unconsciously yelled. Now I am getting weird looks, so much for trying to avoid that.         
    But does that mean underneath the water? Or underneath the fountain? Or... Underneath the town square?
    Waiting a moment for the stares to die down I reach for the rune at the bottom and examine it. It has definitely been there a long time; the edges are chuffed and gravelled. Pulling back my hand out of the water, the rune glows and begins to crack. Before I have time to react, the ground beneath me gives way; I'm falling along with the fountain and everything around it.