The Capital

"Well isn't that just great? The one time something is practically given to us we can't get it." Complained Amadaia.
"Well, then who's ruling this country?" Asked Medola. I reply with,
"The Queen rules over. Since she married into the family she doesn't have access to the vault. Nor did she bear the king any children before he disappeared."
"So, we still can't get them?" Fillorish said.
"Technically yes, but they were specifically designed for you, only you could use them. So you guys might have a slim chance of getting in."
They all exchange looks, taking a moment to process the information. A bit too long of a moment if I'm to be honest. Wait, can they use telepathy!?? Why can't I join in?
"Are you sure these treasures are worth it?" Sin said, breaking the silence. He catches me off guard and I stumble through my words replying,
"Oh...I...Ummm, sure? Yes, yes." Smiling to disguise my stupidity, probably isn't working, hasn't worked yet.
"Alright, then it's decided." Sin said, "We'll give her majesty an audience she'll never forget."
"Oh Gods," Amadaia says under her breath.

"There it is, the capital." I point out, as it slowly emerges in the far off distance.
We continue walking along the main road and arrive at the entrance gate by mid-day.
A guard comes walking out of the tower looking completely tired,
"Identification papers please...."
He trails off as he looks up and sees that the abnormal beings that stand in front of him.
"Ummm, Sir!!!" He calls out.
Another guard strolls out of the building, one with a higher authority of rank by the looks of it.
"What is it this time Coot!!?? It better not be another winged rat biting your...." He too begins to lose all sense of speech when he sees us.
"Greetings," Sin says. "We were just hoping to get in. Would there be a problem with that?" The men give no response, they just stand there. "I'll take that as a no then." He smiles and starts walking through.
The others start walking as well and heads begin to follow our movements. Sin leans over and says to me,
"Who knew being national heroes would have so many benefits?"
As people see us, they begin to move to the sides of the streets and watch us as we go by.
Children are being held back by their parents, even the pets are curious about who these strangers are.
"Can I ask, but I've noticed that there are only humans in this city, where are the other races? This is the capital is it not?." Fill questioned.
"Oh my goodness, how could I have forgotten to tell you guys!!??"
"Tell us what sweetie?" Lillith asked.
"After your last battle, you were named as heroes and awarded titles, this part I told you. But when you didn't return the other races began to withdraw from this domain and in time the other races were outlawed in this land. Elf's are the only ones welcome but no one ever sees them."
"That would explain a lot," Codias claimed.
"Sorry," I said.
"It's alright, we're used to working with what's given to us." Sin said. "We've yet to have complaints, so it's on to the castle for now."
"Actually, I was hoping to take a detour to my work. I have a few things I need to sort out."
"Everyones seems to be ok with that."
But how? How do you know, no one said anything? Must be telepathy, I have to get in on that at some point soon.
"Oh, ok. Well, it's just down this way."
"Lead the way."
Walking down these streets again brings back the feeling of home. But the fact that ten out-of-place beings are following me definitely puts that on edge.
We walk around the third turn and there it is, the Grand Library standing there in all its glory. The hand-carved marble pillars that sit upon their pedestals hold up the decorated stone roof.
The large stairway that leads to the huge wooden door, that when opened the scent of books come rushing out, looms ahead of us.
This is my home. And it's great to be back.
I walk in and see my roommate from my apartment walk this way.
"Oh hey girl, I've been looking for you. Where have you been? You know a letter ain't enough to tell me where you're going." She says.
"Hey Milm, sorry about that. It was a bit last notice."
"It sure was, what on Panarea were you doing back in Cardel?"
Sin just so happened to walk in before I could give a reasonable answer,
"Who's this Nia?" He asks
"Oh, I see. No explanation needed, I hope it was fun. You could have just said you didn't like any of the men I suggest to you and then go off and find your own." She says as she walks closer to him looking him up and down. "And a mighty fine one at that."
"I'm sorry ma'am but I do believe I've given you the wrong impression on this situation." Sin tells her.
"Oh, so you're free! Cuz I'd happily leave my boyfriend for you, grrrrr. Haha."
"Alright, that's enough! Milm this is Adoasin; Adoasin, Milm. Milm here is my roommate. And Sin here is the leader of the Cardelian Gates."
"Oh honey, did you finally find someone to play along with your fantasies?" Milm mused.
"No, SHUTUP!!"
The behemoth doors fly open to reveal the rest of the party standing there.
"Whoops, that was meant to be a nudge," Codias says. "Sorry"
Milm finally had a moment of silence in her life as she stands there jaw dropped.
"Ummm, Nia? A moment please!"
She pulls me over to the side behind a bookcase and starts to unravel,
"What are you playing at girl?"
"What do you mean?"
"What do you mean, 'what do I mean? There is a nine-foot talking dog standing in the entrance over there."
"And...?"
"And?!?!? You don't see the problem here?"
"No"
"What have they done to you? You poor baby."
"I'm fine. Stop it."
Sin pokes his head around the corner and says with a friendly smile,
"Hello ladies, sorry to be a bother but, we're a little pressed for time."
"Pressed for what?!"
"Getting stronger so we can defeat the Dark Lord before he can destroy this world."
How can he say that with a straight face?
"Then why are you here?"
"I'm here to resign from my job."
"What!!?"
"I'm helping them out and gonna travel with them."
"But you love this job."
"I loved learning about the gates, having this job was just one of the perks. I'm just being selfish and I already decided to go with them. I would have gotten fired anyway, so I'm formally quitting."
"Girl, you must have fallen hard."
A loud booming voice interrupts us from outside.
"You are completely surrounded, do not resist or we will use force. Now come out calm and quiet."
"Crap the Military Guards," I say as I start running over to Sin. But he has somehow managed to reach the door within seconds and pokes his head out and asks,
"To whom are you wanting?"
"Sin," I call out. He turns around smiling as if he were saying 'is there a problem?' with his expression. "Get back in here!"
"The eleven individuals that just entered." The guard replies.
"Ooo, that's me," Sin prances out. "How can I help you, fine gentlemen?"
"Turn around and be quiet!"
"Ooo, a game! sounds fun." Don't be an idiot. Wait did he say eleven, me! Crap. "Restraints?! Good sir, you have to buy me dinner first."
The others walk out calmly and stand in front of Sin as he kneels on the ground.
"Why do you have to be so difficult?" Zodiac says.
"Cuz it's more entertaining this way." Sin replies.
"We'll happily go with you, but could you do us a favour and muzzle him." She says to the guard.
"Zodiac, how could you? I'll just have a play along won't I."
"You're messed up, son." The guard says as he puts a muzzle on him. "You all will still need restraints."
"Fine, let's just get it over and done with," Zodiac says.
I walk out slowly and the guard sees me,
"You too miss."
"Oh ok."
We make our way to the palace with an escort. If people weren't staring before, they are now.
We arrive at the palace gates and the guards try and separate us. The guards try and split Codias, Medola and Fillorish from the group. The guards struggle, then Sin looks at them and then they go willingly.
They take us through the many corridors and hallways that lead to the throne room.
The Queen sits upon the throne with her two sons standing on either side.
"Your majesty, the ones that are associated with the individuals thay entered this country illegally."
Sin kneels down on one knee and bows, with his hand on his chest.
Where did his restraints go?
And he says,
"It's an honour to meet you, your highness."