9 All Crazy

Oni swallowed hard when the last of Dev disappeared into the crowd. He stood at attention and, rather reluctantly, allowed his eyes to slide to the side and settle on Sen who eyed him in hate.

Sen looked even scarier with that new eyepatch.

There wasn't much time to consider the best course of action when several head cadets came out of the crowd and stood before Sen.

One demanded, "When can we get in?"

Sen paused in glaring at Oni long enough to look back through the glass doors at the sisters still huddled together.

He did the strangest thing. Instead of allowing everyone entry, he shrugged and said, "Sorry, Bray. My charges are still trying to figure out what the hell they're doing."

Bray's blue eyes widened. He raked his fingers through his blond, nearly white hair and growled, "What the hell are we waiting on again?"

Put face to face, Sen didn't look like much of a match for Bray. Sure, Sen had height. He was cocky as well. But Bray had muscles to spare. Oni found himself wondering if Bray was manmade at this point.

Still, Bray didn't shove Sen aside and barge in. Instead, he went on his tip toes and looked over Sen's shoulder.

"Well, what's taking them so long?"

Sen raised and dropped his shoulders again. "Way I see it, one of them can read, but not well. And another one of them thinks she can read, but she can't. And it's a constant battle."

He spoke as if they were the most fascinating things he'd ever encountered. The number of head cadets increased. Their serious scowl behind the glass of their helmets resonated enough for Sen to ease off the wall and turn to the door.

It opened and he walked in then put his hand against the wall to shut it again.

What happened next defied reasoning.

If Oni hadn't seen it with his own eyes, he'd never believe it. All seven sisters stood at attention upon seeing him. Like before with Dev, they covered for one another, refusing to indicate who was injured.

That didn't matter. Sen marched up to the shortest one and snatched the tube from her hand then approached the sister in the dead center.

Of the seven of them, she was the most unkempt—always. That was how Oni knew her.

Sen recognized her as well, perhaps. The girl stared through Sen for some time but said not a word when he pulled her right hand forward and squeezed the medicine into her palm.

That wasn't all. He walked down to the short girl again and did the same for her.

Moments later, Sen approached the door and once they opened, he bowed.

"It's all yours. My queens are finished wasting everybody's time."

He was teasing but even Oni felt uncomfortable with just how red each seven face was.

Within minutes, the req room was packed. Half of them would go today, the men, and the women the following day.

Sen made his way up the steps after everyone was seated. He paused halfway and looked back when Dev's seven-woman crew didn't follow.

Oni understood why they remained at the doorway, but Sen was certainly unfamiliar with Vagrant customs. The girls weren't going to move, not for anything.

Within seconds, Sen realized that as well because he marched back down.

He reached Oni and ordered, "Go sit down," as he walked by. "And make sure it's not in the wrong area."