17 PROOFS

Bray, accompanied by Olo, let out a sigh then gestured with his head for someone to enter.

No one came.

"Get in there already," Bray demanded.

From Oni's spot in the corner, he could only make Olo out. Apparently, someone else was out there.

At the lack of cooperation, Bray, still standing outside Sen's door, said, "Two hours ago, this one was mucking about. Now, I don't need to repeat the rumors I've heard—"

"Then don't." Sen stared him down.

The tone had Bray adjusting his stance. "Well, you're in charge and...." He nodded back at Olo. "Poor Ol didn't know what to do. So, he told me. And I came here."

Sen's eye drifted from Bray to the less-than-confident Vagrant at his back. Olo.

"Was it worth it?" Sen asked him.

Olo staggered back. "Pardon?"

For a long while, Sen offered him nothing beyond the stare. Finally, he told Bray, "It won't happen again. Please remove all records of it."

Now it was Bray stunned. "I'm not supposed to do that." But as Sen didn't answer, he realized 'supposed' meant little to him. "But.... I guess I can make an exception. Seeing as we'll one day be family." He struck Olo in the left shoulder. "Let's go, Ol."

Bray walked away and Olo hurried behind him. "Did I make a mistake? I told you right away. Isn't that what the protocol says?"

"You did fine. Even got us a favor owed. But don't push it."

"Right."

"And walk behind me."

"Yes, sir."

As their voices faded, Sen still didn't move. In time, he unhooked his matrix, lowered his baton and ordered, "Get in here."

Nothing.

Oni wondered about Sen's composure. Despite the tepid lilt of his voice, his body heaved, making him resemble someone about to charge.

He took something from a pocket in his belt then threw it onto the floor.

The pill container slid to a halt. It was far enough in the room that whoever wanted it would have to reach in to get it.

Sen had already shifted through a myriad of facial expressions, the worst being fury, before someone walked in, picked up the container, and turned to leave.

"That's it?" Sen said before the girl reached the door.

Head still bowed, Pleasant didn't move.

Oni worried for her. Sen looked fit to kill despite his gentle voice.

"What about my payment? Since that's what you're about?"

She didn't move but Oni did. He didn't stand a chance in hell against Sen, but he wouldn't allow this. This was the worst thing anyone could do back home, the worst anyone could allow.

"What is it you want?" Pleasant's voice barely reached them.

The pride in her posture wasn't something Oni could understand. By now, it was more than obvious to everyone what she'd done—what she was. How could anyone still hold their heads high after that?

"One hour for each tablet," Sen said.

Oni made his presence known. "Wait."

"The two of you?"

It was the same question as before. Sen glanced back at Oni then told her, "Yeah. I guess."

For a long while, she didn't move. When she did, it was to look down at the little canister in her left hand. There must have been over a hundred pills in there.