11 Cut

Oni's interest in trying to be a Volunteer had all but come to an end four days in. It was all meaningless. It was all difficult. It was all impossible with a head cadet looking to make him bleed.

More than once, as Dev watched the female fighters' evaluation, Sen's head turned, rotating so slowly it looked more machine than human, until the lone eye locked with Oni's terrified face.

Dev never noticed. Or if she had, she didn't let on.

Oni instinctively inched closer to the wall. But now he was practically in it.

Now, more than ever, Oni wanted to leave.

It had been hell living poor, sleeping with one eye open, but at least he could have slept.

Sen, like Dev, watched the open area below but raised his left hand back and used his index and middle finger to take aim at Oni. The imaginary gun was so convincing Oni's left hand slid up to the metal strip on his chest.

He wasn't going to make it at this rate. There was no way, but he decided he wasn't going down alone.

The words, Bring me a head cadet's Volunteer uniform, pounded in Oni's head.

But how am I going to do that, Lotsu? Head cadets are too strong. Look. There aren't even adults in there. That's how strong they are.

Just gain their trust, Lotsu had insisted. And after you've gained their trust, single one out and get to work. Recruit one for help if you have to.

Oni stared at Dev's back for some time. Then he risked setting his sights on Sen.

In that very moment, Oni knew who to get a head cadet uniform from. But he'd need loyalty. He'd get back into their good graces somehow.

How can I get them to trust me?

Lotsu's voice pounded in Oni's head. Start spilling some secrets.

But the only person possibly interested in hearing was Dev and she was no option. No. It should be Sen. Getting trust from that monster seemed an impossible feat.

As Dev watched the crowd below, however, Oni found himself watching her. Why did his stomach feel turned upside down?

He tried to make sense of his curiosity about her. No, he started wondering strange things—like...if she were single.

"Are you still mad?" Dev whispered.

Nothing. Her cousin continued to look forward.

"Bury the hatchet—"

"Only if I can bury it in his chest."

Oni swallowed hard but Dev laughed, triumphant. "Okay. You're talking. That's a good sign. Come on," she teased, "you can't stay mad forever."

There was no further chatter after that. Spectacular performances from the tryouts below had the crowd on their feet more than once but Oni knew nothing of it.

Instead, he studied his new mark, Sen, unabashed.

There had to be a way in.

It was too bad Dev was his cousin because Lotsu always said couples were easy to disarm and defeat.

Oni stared so intently he forgot to breathe until Dev pulled Sen's arm onto her lap then laced their fingers together.

With that, Oni gasped. He had to cough to counteract his sharp intake of breath after having none for so long.