20 COLLECTING

"Collecting skulls," Oni muttered, a soft whisper barely escaping his lips. "Is that really what it's called?"

It was but telling him that would do no good. For one, Dev had brilliant news he was sure to love—news she kept hidden from her own actual crew.

The open platform held all reduced recruits. It was the only modern area visible to the Vagrants from their homes. In the past it was a landing pad for helicopters but now it served a different function.

At this end of the railroad track which stretched up into the air, hung a large orb. It could fit four people. Dev, and other head cadets, stood safe and proud behind their helmets, poor Oni wore none.

It was probably why he looked so miserable all the time. Being here was a big deal, one she even abandoned her crew for, so to see Oni's reluctance if not genuine fear, Dev felt slighted as well.

"You—you can take one of your crewmen," Oni muttered, betraying Dev far deeper than he'd realized.

Was he really going to refuse? Now? When everyone else had their favored recruits standing beside them, ready for this adventure.

Even Bray stood with Olo at his side, though he looked less than pleased of the fact.

Dev's reputation for failure was her badge of shame. Even with her 'training' with Oni. But saying that wasn't fair. It wasn't Oni's fault she was an inept teacher. Still, going against the norm only to be shot down in public was beyond her.

"They—they'd just fight over who gets to go. And none of them'll even listen when we get there."

This was her attempt at trying to laugh the dire situation off. Sen was an expert at it. Dev...less so.

And it showed.

Oni scanned the curious eyes on them before setting his sights on her.

"Don't you want to go?" Dev asked, desperate to hear only one answer.

Instead of the enthusiasm oozing from the other recruits, dread wafted from Oni in palpable pangs of grimace-laden hesitation.

It wasn't right to pressure him. Dev found interest in the ground as she summed up the courage to go and report this failing as well. Mother didn't even bother the face-to-face reprimands, there were so many.

Out of the corner of her eye, a large frame closed in. "Hey. It's me...Bray."

Dev sighed inward. "I know who you are, Bray. Our families live next door to one another."

Bray's pale face took on color. "Oh. Right. Yeah. I know but...." His voice petered off into nothing as a horn sounded. He saw salvation when he looked out at the orb-shaped machine. "Hey, you ever been in one-a them? They're pretty rough."

Dev hesitated but cleared her throat and followed the untold rule of Volunteers—allow others face.

"No. It's—it's bigger than I expected."

"Reckon?" Bray hesitated then hazarded. "You—you short? Your little half-a-cadet here looks about ready to collect his knees from the floor. If'n you're worried, I can ditch Olo and ride with."

From behind him, Olo sucked in a sharp breath.

Crud.

Save face and ruin a once-in-a-lifetime chance for a Vagrant who could actually' appreciate it, or admit to yet another failure with being unable to assure her cadet?

Dev's jaw worked as she struggled with something to say.

"No. We're fine!" Oni blurted out.

But he didn't sound fine. In fact, his voice cracked. But this was so like him, pushing himself too far—farther than he had to—only to riddle her with guilt when he eventually failed.