viii

⚕⚕⚕

S05 E06

⚕⚕⚕

"Doctors!" The chief called out. Mark and Derek turned around— neither of then pressed  the elevator button. Angelina, who stood behind them, sighed, and walked forward to call the elevator. "I wanted to introduce you to the new head of trauma at Seattle Grace; Major Owen Hunt. You remember Derek Shepherd, Mark Sloan, Angelina Engelli."

"He stole my patient," Derek regarded.

Mark agrees. "And mine."

"Oh, you're ginger. I remember you." Angelina stated, her apathetic voice layering over the two. "You were fun."

"And now you'll get a chance to steal mine," Owen chuckled, before nodding to Angelina. "Thanks."

"I just got off the phone with my friend from the DOH. Now that we have Owen, we are being reclassified as a level one trauma center."

Derek noted this. "That explains it."

Catching her breath, Cristina spoke in a hushed tone. "I just saw Major Owen Hunt. You know, the guy who pulled the icicle from my chest."

"I thought he was in Iraq," Meredith replied.

"Well—yeah. Bu—but now he's here— in this hospital. And we kissed. And it was nothing. It was stupid. It was a stupid nothing." Cristina stuttered out.

"Mer, I'm not getting involved with another attending."

"You pulled off a twelve person domino surgery last week. That's the kind of thing we need every week. That's also the kind of thing that shows me you're going to be a great surgeon someday. It's not enough. I don't just want you to be great, Miranda. I want you to be the best. And if you're going to succeed me in being the best general surgeon in this hospital, you need to start now. Which means you need to be me. You want to take point on a surgery? Take point. If a problem comes up, solve it. Don't talk to me, just do it. Be me."

"Be you?"

"Be me."

"I can do that."

Izzie carried multiple binders of charts and stormed to the nurses station fuming, causing Angelina to stare at her from her own charts .

"Owen Hunt is a murdering, sadistic bastard." She scolded, slamming the binder on the table.

"Let me guess. First wet lab?" Angelina replied, not looking at the resident. "Besides, that's designed to train residents into saving people, I hardly thing one can call it murderous."

"He's stabbing pigs. Defenseless pigs. Or, as he likes to call them, live tissue. Because God forbid, you should call them animals," Izzie continued.

Angelina hesitated, before setting down her pen. "Stevens, he's the head of trauma. As much as I agree with you on animal cruelty, I cannot go against his teaching style. And if that's how he does things, just roll with it."

"We don't need live subjects. What happened to 'first do no harm?' That's not just about humans, that's about all living things."

In a fluid movement, the pen was picked up, and the charting continued. "Actually, I think it is just about humans."

Izzie opened her mouth then closed it, before opening it again. "I'm saying this to you as a general person, and the best friend of my roommate, and not my attending."