𝖘𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

𝖏𝖚𝖐𝖊 𝖏𝖆𝖒
❝ "𝙰𝙽𝙳𝙴𝚁𝚂𝙾𝙽_𝙰𝙽𝙳_𝚆𝙰𝙻𝙺𝙴𝚁" ❞
𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏

𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐄 Walker pressed the button on the camera to begin the recording before placing herself back on the loaded couch, in between her husband and longtime friend. She smiled uncontrollably, before looking around, not quite sure what to say first. Both Amari and Vanessa Anderson chuckled at her, as she leaned back into Jeremiah who held the cue cards.

"So, who wants to start?" Jeremiah asked, "This first card is even 'bout you guys."

"Ooh, should we read out each other's?" Ren perked up, moving his hand into her lap to be able to see the cards. "First question says: When is the family growing? I was finna ask this question myself, you know." The direct question made Vanessa's eyebrows rise, as she shifted in her seat slightly. Amari glanced at her to make sure she was okay with answering.

"Well, we were actually thinking of doing IVF and also looking into adoption." she explained, Renee's eyebrows rose as well and sat up at the sound of it. Vanessa's focus remined on the camera, as silent surprise seeped from the Walkers.

Amari exhaled and took the liberty of explaining the entire situation. "We've been trying for a baby since we got married last year and we've just not had much luck. When we spoke with doctors, it turns out that I may be infertile so we've had to look at other options, ya' know." he shrugged apathetically and Vanessa placed her hand on his shoulder consolingly, Renee did the same.

"Wow, we didn't even think about that possibility, but there's still hope for y'all." Jeremiah encouraged, Amari looked over and smiled.

"Yeah, we still have a shitload of hope, the lawyer bag we be makin' is what's gonna be funding it." he snorted, sitting back comfortably with his wife. The four of them burst into a small bout of laughter as the dampened air began to feel lighter again. "Okay, moving on, next question 'bout you two. What is different about living in Toronto compared to Chicago?" Amari read from Ren's hands.

Renee scoffed loudly, cocking her head to the camera with a relieved expression, "Do y'all know how good it feels to have free fuckin' healthcare? I can go in for a damn check-up and not have to worry 'bout paying just for the ten minute conversation I have with my doctor." she rolled her eyes, causing a groan from Vanessa.

"I wish. These medical bills in the mail ain't no joke." she sighed.

"It's good too since Reece's appointments are much hassle." Renee added, gaining a nod from Jeremiah. He turned around just in time as their thirteeen month old son waddled towards the couch and tried his hardest to keep his balance against his father's leg. "Hey, lil' man," he grinned, lifting him up and resting him on his left arm, as Renee leaned into his right to see her son.

"Hey, cutie," she cooed, playing with his hand. "Aside from that, I'on think there's much else, I do miss having Nae down the block doing my hair at a discount though." she pouted.

"They're living it up in New York." Amari nodded proudly. "We'll be seeing them soon for Reggie's birthday, so it's all good."

"Next question is: how much has Chicago changed over the years that you've lived there? I guess this is mostly for you, Mars, since you're the only one that ain't left." Vanessa read out. She lifted her dark-eyed gaze to her husband who chewed his lip thoughtfully.

"Well, it sure as hell is a lot quieter. Ya' know, I guess what I'm doing as a defense lawyer is paying off 'cause Pullman is picking up quite a bit. We used to have so many problems back in the day, street fights, races and shit, and we used to get arrested left, roght and center." he chuckled, reminiscing on the many situations him and the boys of the crew would put themselves through just to have some fun as teenagers with the older gangs that ran the streets.

Amari was glad that he'd stayed in his hometown and did his best to sharpen its edges, there were a lot of minfortunes that he'd brought to justice for his community and people, and he was forever proud of himself for that. "I miss it, I guess, everybody being down the street, and taking the metro to school, and wasting our evenings at Rollacity. But this place ain't changed one bit, I'll be straight, but I'm glad, ya' know." he smiled warmly.

"You would've loved Rollacity, Nessa. Even you," Ren poked her husband. "The last night there, a few years back, I remember that shit like it was yesterday." she hummed. Then she sprung up. Reece squealed at her abruptness. "Wait! I still have it."

"Wait, let me ask the last question," Mars chuckled, knowing exactly what she was referring to. "Do you still have the polaroid picture you promised to hold onto?"

"I sure as hell do!" Renee maneuvered to retrieve her purse and pulled out the, now, fifteen year old polaroid picture of the two old friends. The corners of the film were softened and slightly raised at parts and the inscription was more than faded, but the picture seemed somewhat intact. Amari burst into laughter at the sight of it.

"Ya' know, now that I think back, I'on think I had much hope in you." he stated past his breaths for air. Renee frowned, as Vanessa giggled.

"It's so cute, y'all look so young. He's being the protector as always." she laughed. Renee smiled softly at the sound of her reply.

In all honesty, although years had passed and she was happily married with a son, Renee Walker wondered how different life would've been if she was sitting in Vanessa's place, that she'd never met Jeremiah and that night at Rollacity rekindled their childhood flame that she had to dismiss that night because of her set promises. It never diminished her love for her husband—in fact it made it stronger—but it also grew her love for Amari, in wanting to see him equally as happy.

Seeing him with Vanessa made her content, she brought him the love that they failed to have. Renee hummed to her response, glancing up at Amari who was just gently smiling at the picture.

"Don't lose it, Ren," he started, finally raising his eyes to her. "you still got five years on your sentence." She grinned widely.

🎆
𝖏𝖚𝖐𝖊 𝖏𝖆𝖒

𝗲𝘅𝗰𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗿𝗿𝗼𝗿𝘀!𝘃𝗼𝘁𝗲 & 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁, 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲𝘀! ~𝐠𝐥𝐝𝐧𝐬𝐮𝐧𝐬

𝗲𝘅𝗰𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗿𝗿𝗼𝗿𝘀!
𝘃𝗼𝘁𝗲 & 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁, 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲𝘀!
~𝐠𝐥𝐝𝐧𝐬𝐮𝐧𝐬.