𝖔𝖓𝖊

𝖏𝖚𝖐𝖊 𝖏𝖆𝖒
❝ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐖 ❞
𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟒

𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐈𝐓𝐘 Skating Rink was the hottest joint in the South Side district of Chicago, Illinois. Opening in early 1995, the business was an iconic sensation—branded by the undying thrill of culture, the nightclub ambience, the swerving roller-skaters and the buzzing arcade.

It grew to be the spot that everyone would hang out around after school, regardless of if they missed their parental curfews. For this crew of six, a stop at their favorite spot in the city during their routinely train journey home from school was mandatory.

The teenagers boisterously clambered into the purple-table booth that Naomi the "busy boss" Beaumont always insisted they sat at. She enjoyed sitting in the middle of the booth so that she was never the send-out; or she liked that she was sat closer to Reggie Coleman, the "smooth criminal", but she'd never admit that aloud.

"He was definitely 'bouta put some curse on me, bro!" James Moreau screeched—correctly named the "animator", since he never shied away from overdramatizing everything he said.

"Well, you just couldn't shut yo' trap, could you?" Azryah "drunk-mouthed" Walters retorted, shoving him as he fell against her shoulder.

"You were enjoying the show, Walts, I'on know what you talkin' about. I know you was peeping, girl." he teased, his plump lips flashed a mischievous grin that always had her trippin'. She glared at him. "See somethin' you like, baby?"

"Shush, bruh. Talk to the hand." She pushed her palm into his face. Renee "réservée" Taylor shielded her fit of giggles. James continually pulled Azryah into his chest, "I ain't listening, I ain't!"

The relationship that Azryah and James had was a complex one to comprehend. They always fought, somehow managed to date for about a month before calling it off for both catching the other messaging other people on MSN, but still struggled to admit that they liked each other.

Being only impressionable Sophomores explained their insatiable thirst for freedom and their lack of understanding of anything remotely romantic. Though their flirtations shouted much louder than their endless denials, the rest of the crew had already given up on trying to play matchmaker for a second time, knowing fully that one of them would soon get hurt.

"I can't be the only one that thought he looked a lil' like Mr. Truman, if he were cracked the fuck up." Amari Anderson, "the academic addict", interjected.

The teenagers burst into laughter, "He did! He was busting them moves like Sisqo with the fuckin' rats." Naomi guffawed. "He was gettin' it though."

"The Metro is nasty. I just need my own whip, I'm tired of cruising wit' you rats." Reggie grimaced in his quiet tone, but even James at the end of the booth heard him, igniting uproar amongst the teens.

With the soft rhythm of 'Candy Rain', the table soon hushed as Azyrah gasped loudly, she heartily sang the words off key. She swayed where she sat, gaining stares from James and Amari who were amusingly grinning.

"Yo, someone skate with me! I wanna show some of my moves before the song ends!" she slapped the table, hoping to encourage anyone.

"You wanna juke?" James smirked.

She scrunched her face and poked his stomach, "Not wit' you, nigga. I could never."

"Ooh, sure, Azzie," Naomi cooed.

"You shouldn't start, Nae, you wouldn't mind yourself all up against Reginald." Azryah retorted hastily, causing the rest of the teenagers snicker into laughter.