ℂ𝕙-𝟟: Caribou & Glacier Gulch

Previously...

"WE'RE NOT GONNA MAKE IT!!!!" Braedey cried.

"NO! WE CAN'T! BUT YOU WILL!!" Jack yelled as they got closer to the locomotive's tender. "THERE'S ONLY ONE TRICK TO THIS, BUDDY! WHEN I SAY 'JUMP'..."

The Polar Express now goes into the mouth of the tunnel, the red glow of the firebox illuminating the 'mouth', making it look like the tunnel had come to life, as the locomotive blows its whistle.

"NOW...JUMP!!!!!!" Jack yelled, then he suddenly disappeared as he said that.

Braedey had no choice as he looked back to see the Yule Cat behind him, and the tunnel in front. With a scream, Braedey leaped off the first carriage roof, diving for the locomotive tender, just as everything went black....

~*~*~

When Braedey jumped off the carriage, he had actually landed in the coal tender, he slid down the coal like a slide and once he reached the bottom, he was buried in coal. Braedey slowly got up trying to keep his balance as he dusted off coal dust from himself. He looked around to see where he is, and he smiled in relief once he saw he made it.

"Braedey?" The brunette turned to his left, and to his surprise, there was Maria standing nearby.

"M-Maria?" Braedey asked in shock and surprise, as Maria now dusted him off. "What are you doing up here? I thought you were holding the fort in the back with the other kids."

"I was called by the Conductor to keep an eye on the one person you wouldn't expect to be here." Maria then gestured over to the engineer's seat, Braedey looking over to see who was sitting in the driver's seat, much to his surprise. "See what I mean?"

"Melty?!" Braedey said. The bluenette girl looked back and smiled when she saw the brunette. "I thought you got thrown off! Y-You're driving the Polar Express?!" He asked her in shock.

"The engineers put me in charge for the moment... they had to check on the light. It's been acting up for a bit." Melty shrugs back to him. "It's really great, isn't it?" She asked.

"Braedey, do you know how to drive a train?" Maria then asked to Braedey.

"I, Uh- Just give me a second." Braedey shook his head. "I'm just getting over the fact you're still here." He then took a look at the controls of the train. "Okay... the lever up above, that's the regulator. That's what gets steam into the pistons to help us go. The little yellow handle, that's the brake. It's obvious to what it does. The handle by the engineer's seat is the reverser. That makes the train go forward or backwards. There are the dials; boiler pressure and temperature, water capacity, speedometer, and other gauges..."

Melty then pointed at a rope that was hanging nearby. "And that rope is the whistle."

Braedey looked at the rope, then to Melty with a raised eyebrow. "This is the whistle?"

Melty nodded, giggling a little. "Want to try it?"

Maria nodded in agreement. "Go ahead."

Braedey wasted no time as he pulled the rope down with a smile, and the train whistle blew loudly. Braedey stopped and looked to the girls. "I've wanted to do that my whole life!" He blew the whistle twice.

Virtus giggled again as she watched Dual have fun with the whistle, but then they heard faint yelling coming from outside, making the kids look out the cab window.

It was the engineers trying to get their attention. "STOP THE TRAIN!!! STOP THE TRAIN!!!"

"What did he say?" Braedey didn't hear what the engineer was saying but Virtus did.