Chapter 6

I followed my father inside the house, my hands trembling and sweating. The only topic I believed they would seriously need to talk to me about was the supernatural and the family business. Just as I had told Derek, if I hadn't met him and Scott, I would have probably joined without a second thought. But I had met them, I had been embraced by them, and I didn't know what I was going to answer.

I sat across from my parents on the kitchen's island. They seemed excited, but a bit anxious. Obviously, revealing to your daughter the existence of supernatural beings and the fact that the whole family hunted them wasn't an easy task. At least, she already knew the most hard-hitting information and she wouldn't feel blindsided.

"Honey, what we have to tell you is very important, and we don't want you to feel like we have been keeping this from you on purpose," my mother started. "But you need to understand that everything we have to say today is nothing but the truth. Okay?"

"Guys, what is it? You're scaring me."

"You know that all Argents work at the family company, Argent Arms International, and that at some point you'd probably end up working there."

"Yeah, dad. The reason I know too much about weapons," I laughed. I couldn't let on that I knew more than they thought.

"Well, the company is actually a front for the real work we do behind the scenes, and the reason we're on the road a lot," my father started. "Since the start of our lineage Argents have been hunters."

"Hunters of what?"

"Now, I need you to remember that what I am about to tell you is the full honest truth." I nodded. "We hunt supernatural creatures, but mainly werewolves. You remember the tattoo I have on my arm that you asked about when you were younger?"

"Yeah, 'Nous chassons ceux qui nous chassent'. French, we hunt those who hunt us. I always thought it was more of a psychological phrase."

"That's our family mantra. All Argent generations have been trained since childhood to become hunters one day, Chris and I were the only ones that decided to give you and Allison the choice once you became teenagers to know about our world. It's completely up to you to join us."

"So, all the training, physical and with weapons, was all in preparation for this?" My father nodded. I could see the worry in his face of how I would take this news – a one-worded answer was going to shift my whole life. It was one thing to be knowledgeable of this life, it was another to be in the center of all of it.

"We run by a code," my father explained. "We only hunt those who have been proven to have harmed innocent lives – only adults, no young ones, and no humans. Any hunter that breaks that code is an enemy to our cause."

"Is that what aunt Kate did?" I spoke in a hushed tone knowing this was a difficult topic for my father, one that we hadn't touched upon in the time we had been here.

"Yes, it is" my mother answered. Her dislike towards her sister-in-law wasn't a secret. Mom had always thought of her as arrogant and self-centered – or so she would state when in an alcohol-induced rant.

"Unfortunately, my sister did break the code, but that's beside the point," dad interjected. "Sweetheart, we make sure that everyone around us is protected from the creatures that are unknown. So, what do you think? Do you want to join us?"

They both studied my face, waiting on any reaction that could arise from me. All I could think is how my decision could affect the people that had made their way into my life. Allison had accepted, and although her relationship with Scott was strained, she still managed to keep him close. But what if I accepted and all it did was deteriorate all the new relationship I was trying to build?