Chapter 15

Wednesday night, right after the throes of Spring Break, was almost like a holiday for Beacon Hills students. The birthday of one Lydia Martin was the biggest event for the current body of Beacon Hills High School. Or so Skyler had been told. From freshmen to seniors, everyone that was anyone wanted an invitation to the Martin household to celebrate the school's it-girl—or rather, have an excuse to get wasted for free. 

For Skyler, it was an unfortunate social event that she had agreed to long before she had any information on just how big it was. She had also agreed at a point when she wasn't angry with her cousin, and she didn't know having to spend time at the same party could result in yet another easily avoidable fight.

Truly, the last thing she wanted was to be surrounded by drunk teenagers when she felt her life was falling apart. Her parents had found a hundred and one ways to avoid her the past week, and she lived on constant edge that Victoria would say something about the night of the rave. She was living in a constant juxtaposition. On the one hand, she wanted to stay as far away from her family as possible until her aunt unfortunately passed. On the other, she wanted to be right in the middle to see if any information that could help the pack slipped by. For the past weeks, she had been living in a constant contradiction.

But all of that had to be put to the back of her mind as she got to Lydia's house. As little as she knew the girl, she had promised to attend. For Lydia, I guess, she thought.

"I just wish you could be here," Skyler spoke through her headphones. "I don't want to go through this without you or even Isaac."

"I don't think a guy that graduated a while ago is invited," Derek chuckled. "And if it wasn't a full moon, I'm sure Isaac would be there. But it's too dangerous still."

"Maybe I should just bail," she sighed as she propped her motorcycle on its stand. "With everything going on, the last thing I want is to be at a party."

"You can always just hang around Scott and his weird friend."

"His name is Stiles," she chuckled. "And there's a possibility he'll be around Allison, and I'd rather keep from getting into another stupid argument with her."

"You're gonna have to talk to her someday, Sky. It's not good to keep that stuff in."

As she was about to answer him, she found herself face-to-face with her cousin, both of them on the way up the driveway. "Speak of the devil," she whispered. "I'll call you when I leave."

"Alright," he responded. "Make good choices tonight."

"When do I not."

"Hey, Sky," Allison smiled weakly as Skyler slid her headphones into her pocket. "Can we talk for a sec?"

"Sure," she sighed, unable to hide the annoyed scowl from her face. "What's up?"

"Okay, I guess I deserve that," she said. "Look, I wanted to apologize for how I've been treating you. You were right about me projecting my own insecurities onto you. I know nothing is happening between you and Scott, and I know that the family doesn't favor you over me. It's just that everything that's been happening has been getting to me, and I let it out on you, even if you didn't deserve it. I hate fighting with you, and I miss my cousin. Do you think you could ever forgive my craziness?"

Skyler pretended to think for a beat, her face remaining stoic and unchanging. She had forgiven Allison long before she had apologized. But she was also petty, and holding grudges was one of the little joys she had in life. "You know, you really hurt me, Ali," she said. "You really thought I was capable of taking your boyfriend and your friends. Then you accused me of somehow doing something to be favored by the family. And I honestly don't even know what I did to deserve any of that."