Chapter 12

Outside the warehouse, Skyler could feel the loud music bustling its way through the walls. It made her pulse beat at time with the tempo. She could feel the bass of the music pumping inside her, building the nervous excitement that she already felt. She was ready to make herself nonexpendable to both Derek and her family. All she wanted was to prove just how great of an asset she could be.

Her parents had been training her for as long as she could remember. Using the "it's a tough world out there" excuse for it, they had submitted her to hours and hours of self-defense and weapon training. Skyler knew she was good enough to be put on the front lines of this war, even if no one believed in her.

It all made her miss her parents. For the longest time, they were the only constants in her life. The only people she could get close to without fearing that she would lose them. They had been her biggest supporters and she needed their vote of confidence now more than ever. She needed to feel like at least one person was in her corner.

Skyler saw Isaac and a disgruntled Erica, joining their side before they entered.

"So, what's the plan?"

"Shouldn't you already know?" Erica scoffs. "Although, I wonder which version you're asking for. Our plan or your family's?"

"Lay off, Erica," Isaac grumbled. "All I know is that we need to find Jackson and stop him from getting his next victim."

"And how exactly are you going to do that?" Skyler asked. "Last time I checked he has a paralyzing venom and superhuman strength."

"Element of surprise?" the blond chuckled. "Look, we still need to meet up with Scott. It's his plan after all."

"Fine. Then let's go."

The three of them walked into the building. The stench of sweat and alcohol filled her nose, every one of her senses telling her to turn back around. But not even her fight-or-flight response would keep her from helping that night. She would be respected –one way or another.

Skyler followed Isaac and Erica into the rave, even as her limbs begged her to turn back. And maybe she should have listened. The flashing lights and the thumping bass strangled her but her mind had been made up. They would get Jackson that night, no matter what.

Their eyes followed the crowd, their heads in full alert. Everything they did could only end one of two ways –trapping Jackson or another death in their hands. And deep down. Skyler wanted to be the one to do it. It would be her only chance to show everyone what she was made of.

"Sky, why didn't you tell me that Allison was going to be here?" Scott questioned as he joined the trio, worry evident in his eyes. "More than that, that your family is here?"

"I told Derek," she defended herself. "I thought he would have told you too. I promise this wasn't meant to be an ambush, Scott. Next time I'll tell you myself."

"No, it's okay," he sighed. "It's just that seeing Allison here took me aback. I didn't think I would have to worry about her tonight."

"I am sorry, Scott. I thought after this morning you might have already known how big our family's involvement had gotten."

"Seriously, Sky, it's okay," he smiled reassuringly. "But I want to make sure things go on without a hitch. So, Isaac, I'm gonna need you to tranquilize Jackson."

Scott pulled out a silver tranquilizer gun, presenting it to a surprised blond. "Why me?" he questioned, doubt clouding his eyes.

"Because I gotta make sure the Argents don't completely ruin the plan. Okay, you better do it intravenously which means in the vein. When you find him, you pull back on this plunger right here. In the neck is probably going to be the easiest. So you find a vein, you jam it in there, and pull back on the trigger."