Chapter 15 - Khanum

Author’s Note:

Dear Readers,

I just found out that Erik didn’t use morphine in Persia. He used opium. I have now changed it. I am sorry for any confusion this might have caused but I wish this to be as accurate as possible. Thank you so much for understanding.

sarahlet2999

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosetta’s POV:

I awoke at dawn to find an empty bed. I quickly remembered the events of the night before. I had woke to wild thrashing and Erik crying out in his sleep. I had woken him for fear he would hurt himself. Whatever had transpired in his nightmare, it had terrified him.

I stood up and walked towards the door that led from the bedroom to the sitting room. Erik was sitting at his organ with a glare painted on his face. He was in a very bad humor. I walked forward and said,

“Good morning, Erik. Are you feeling better?” His head snapped towards me and he seemed startled to see me. I guess he didn’t know I was standing there.

“Yes and no.” He said softly. I smiled and leaned against the organ. I could see both were true. He wasn’t in tears but he still hurt. The nightmare must have been bad. I didn’t dare guess what it was about.

“Erik, is there anything I can do? I am willing to help-“ He cut me off with a wave of his hand.

“No, there is nothing you can do. You did enough for me last night. No woman has ever comforted me before.” The last sentence came out as a whisper. I reached out and touched his arm. He flinched away at the suddenly contact.

He looked at my hand then relaxed. I laid my hand back on his shoulder and he only tensed for a second or two then relaxed again. He stared straight at the organ and said,

“We will be leaving soon to go to the khanum. She has wished that I please her with my torture chamber. I would prefer you not to be present. You will go with the harem girls and at least have some female conversation. It is not intelligent but it would be better than nothing.” I smiled slightly. I hadn’t talked to another girl in years.

“But, do they speak English?” I quickly asked. He laughed and stood up. Moving silently over to his stash of food he said,

“Some of them do. Those who don’t can have other translate for them. Don’t worry.” He tossed me a loaf of bread. “I assume you’re hungry.” I smiled and tore off a chunk.

“Yes, I am.” He smiled slightly and watched as I scarfed down the breakfast. I wasn’t too pleased with his idea of the harem girls but they were better company then keeping myself occupied here in his rooms. The harem girls sounded very stupid and uneducated but I would survive their company.

I handed the bread back to him and as we were exiting his rooms he said,

“Now, you are my slave and you should act as such. Follow at my heel and look at the ground. Do not, call me by my name. Outside of my rooms I am ‘Angel of Doom’ to you. Understand?” I nodded quickly and fell into place behind him.

I kept my eyes fixed on the ground and kept in perfect time with his quick strides. I dared to look up every now and then and soon I found myself in a totally different part of the palace then I had ever seen.

Erik gave some orders in Persian to one of the maids. She quickly took me by the arm and led me away. I looked back as I saw Erik walking toward another part of the palace. I guessed that I was being led to where the harem girls were kept.

A few minutes later, I found myself surrounded by a group of Persian girls. They were all quickly speaking and I understood nothing. Suddenly, Maysa pushed through the crowds and said something that calmed the girls down. I looked at her in shock. I had expected to find her in the harem girls.

I asked,

“Maysa, what are you doing here?” She smiled and showed me to a seat.

“I am not a harem girl if that is what you’re wondering. No, I heard that you were going to be here so I came to see how you were doing. Is the Angel of Doom a very hard master?” I fiddled with my hands and tried to find out how to answer the question. I couldn’t say he was my friend but I couldn’t lie either.

“Well, he isn’t as bad as I thought it might be.” Maysa quickly translated and I gathered from the shocked expressions they had been expecting something quite different.

“How good is he in bed?” I stared at her with my mouth hanging open. They must have thought that was the only reason he bought me. How was I to tell them I hadn’t laid with him and wouldn’t ever lay with him? I bit my lip and said,

“Well, um, we haven’t laid together yet. I am still adjusting to my other duties.” The girls giggled at my nervousness and Maysa said,

“Rosetta, when will you? I won’t translate it.” I looked at her and whispered in her ear.

“Never. He has sworn not to lay a hand on me.” Her eyes went wide but she kept her promise of not translating. I realized how much I needed to talk to another girl about this. I had missed such conversations.

They asked more questions and lying was becoming difficult when suddenly a hush fell over the girls. They stared behind me and started to draw back. I turned around and kept an even expression while I looked at Erik. Something was wrong though. Something major.

He gestured for me to come with him and I rose silently and followed him away. I managed a small wave at the girls. I heard them instantly start talking as soon as they thought I was out of earshot.

Erik led me back to his rooms and started to pace. He couldn’t sit down. I felt the anger rolling off of him. I took my seat on the organ bench and said,

“Erik, what is amiss?” He growled and stalked back and forth. He reminded me of a caged and angry panther. He finally said,

“Everything, I am extremely angry. Extremely angry.” I took a deep breath and pried deeper. My curiosity wouldn’t let it lie there.

“Angry about what?” He sat down and picked up his opium pipe. He brooded for a while before saying,

“I will be gone for a while. I don’t want you to leave this place. I shouldn’t be gone for more than a few days.” I raised my eyebrows and frowned. I knew something was amiss. I knew nothing of what was going on in the palace. All I knew was the Erik was angry and leaving. I was beginning to think that wasn’t a good combination.

“Very well. Please, stay safe and don’t do anything rash.” He chuckled manically and said,

“I never do anything rashly. Everything is planned.” I shivered at the thought of what was going through his mind. Soon though he was wrapped in his cocoon of smoke and I left the room before I gagged.

Something was going through his brain and I didn’t like whatever it was.