Chapter 39

Erik's POV:

I strolled through my new building project and inwardly smiled at its progress. My workers were hard at their jobs and I couldn't help but be proud of it all. I even dared to gloat a little at my current life. I had a wife, a child on the way, and a perfect job. None of which I deserved but all of which I was very proud and possessive.

I was building a church for a Catholic minister who needed one after his old church had burned to the ground. As much as I disliked the Catholics and their religion I was more than happy to take the job. We both understood we thought differently but accepted it. In fact, I was on my way to have lunch with him and explain how the building was coming along.

My boots made an eerie ringing as I walked up the stone walkway to his home which was no more than a stone's throw from the church's building site. I rapped on the door and he soon opened it. I didn't smiled but nodded. My reputation as the man who never smiled or laughed was earned. No one except Giovanni, Madam Giry, and Rose had ever seen me smile.

"Good afternoon, Erik!" He said happily and welcomed me inside. He was a very friendly old man and I appreciated the warmth even if I didn't return it.

"Good afternoon, Father Pierre." That was his title even though I didn't much like it. I was simply being polite and calling him by it. He grinned and let me into the dining room where a modest meal was being served. We took our seats and he blessed the meal before gesturing for me to begin eating.

"Well, now, how is my church coming along?" I took a bite of the beef before saying,

"Very nicely. I hope to have it finished well before winter. My workers are diligent and have never failed to live up to my expectations." For me that was saying a lot. My expectations had always been more than most humans could live up to.

He chuckled and took a drink.

"Good. Good. Glad to hear it. I wish my eyes would work like they used to. If so I could see my church. But, God saw fit to remove most of their use from me." He chuckled again and moved on to our traditional conversation subjects, "How's your wife?"

My eyes lit up when he mentioned Rose. She was the light of my life and I loved her even more than the day I married her if that possible.

"She is doing very well for being eight months pregnant. Her movements are limited but she is quite happy with her situation." There was no doubt she was impatient for her pregnancy to be over. She was excited and desperate to see the baby that had been growing inside of her and kicking her.

"Always good to hear a woman is doing well in her pregnancy. Have you yet decided on whether you want a boy or girl?" He chuckled and smirked at me.

"No, we haven't. She still wants a boy while I want a girl." Most men wanted boys but I had the desire to have a girl. I had always wanted a girl. A girl who liked like Rose. Rose always said she wanted a boy that looked like me. We could never agree.

He sighed and looked at his plate.

"If I had ever married, I might have wanted a girl too. But, my call was to the service of God not to the family life. I have been very happy here." I nodded in agreement and left the subject hang there. I avoided at all costs talking of his religion.

"I believe all children a blessing from God." I stated as I stood up, my meal finished. He rose with me and smiled.

"Yes, they are. Now, tell Mrs. Destler and Giovanni that I said hello and I am keeping them in my prayers." I couldn't stop him from praying for either of them and there was no reason to. After all, what harm could it do?

"I shall. Good day, Father Pierre." I walked out of his house and back towards the building site. I wanted to get this day over with so I could go back to Rose. Before, when I had been only twelve and working with Giovanni, I never wanted to leave my work. Now, I couldn't leave fast enough even though I loved my work. Rose was much more important to me.

As I walked back onto the work site, my master mason approached me.

"Sir, we need your advice on a problem." I fought to keep myself from rolling my eyes. With any luck, it wouldn't take long.

"Lead the way, Master Mason." I followed behind him until I came to one of the walls of the church.

"Sir, we, um..." He trailed off and looked at his feet. "Used the wrong materials to build it with. What would you like us to do? The walls is threatening to fall any moment." Even I noticed how it moved with the slight wind. Almost growling, I said,

"Tear it down. However you wish." I glanced up at it and turned my back to it. "Let this be a lesson to you about using faulty materials!" My eyes burned and I towered over him. "I would have thought you could have figured out what was good and what wasn't!" I stated loudly. Placing my hands on my hips I was about to say something when I heard something behind me. After seeing the master mason's eyes go wide, I turned around and saw the wall coming down on top of us.

Neither of us had a chance to move. Time seemed to move in slow motion as the wall crashed tons of rocks and mortar onto the both of us. I knew this was the end. The last thing that flashed before my mind was Rose's beautiful face. Then, everything went black and then turned white and I thought, So, this is death?

------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

Yeah, I know, I am so dead and you'll are ready to commit suicide or murder me. Authors are intitled to have a little fun here and there!!!!! Well, I wanted to say, I am sorry for not posting sooner. I know I promised but I had MAJOR writer's block. Writer's block sticketh closer than a brother as I like to say. Now, @bewailed_his_fate, its YOUR turn to post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUHAHAHAHA.

sarahlet2999