Chapter 21 -Reza

Rosetta's POV:

I sipped on my tea and looked over at Erik and Daroga. It had been a month since the poisoning incident and Erik was looking well. Daroga was surprised how well he had recovered. I was pleased and very happy.

I was about to say something when a messenger ran up. I took on look at the man and knew he had come from the khanum. He bowed to both Erik and Daroga then to me seperately. I frowned slightly and I saw Erik's eyes glow gold with anger. I was surprised at his reaction but quickly ignored it.

He handed a letter to Erik. Erik tore it open, read it through, and tossed it in a corner.

He folded his hands is if to pray and tossed the man the bag of money that had appeared then said,

“*I never received this message.*” I and the messenger both looked at him in surprise. The messenger said,

“*Master?*” Erik frowned and clarified.

“*You did not survive your dangerous journey here. … a landslide … a tiger … a bandit – there are half a dozen deaths a solitary messenger could have met. Choose whichever pleases you and disappear. There is sufficient in that purse to ensure you never need carry messages again. Go now and be sure you do not speak of this to anyone. If you betray me, I promise that I will take the greatest pleasure in personally arranging your extinction.*”

The man nodded and hurried away. I looked at him very puzzled and Daroga said,

“*She will send again, Erik. This can't buy you more than a few weeks' grace.*” Erik sighed and placed the tips of his fingers together.

“*Two months is all that I shall need.*” I was more puzzled then ever. What one earth was he talking about? Sometimes I thought I understood the man I loved and sometimes he made no sense. Daroga seemed as confused.

“*To finish the palace? Surely that isn't possible.*” Erik looked over at Daroga and a look of pity entered his eyes. Both Daroga and I suddenly understood. During the month that I had been here I had learned much about Reza, Daroga's son. Most of all I leaned he wasn't going to live for long. I knew when Erik spoke of two months he was speaking of Reza. My heart started to bleed at the thought of losing that boy. He and I were somewhat close. We played together and laughed together. I loved to tell him stories.

Daroga whispered,

“*Two months. Erik, surely you are mistaken, he must have longer than that – he must!*” I heard the panic in his voice and felt it in my own heart. And if Erik had been less controlled I would have seen it in his face. He loved the boy as much as I did.

“*Nadir … the child does not deserve to suffer all that will very soon lie ahead of him.*” Daroga swallowed and spoke softly,

“*What are you telling me?*” Erik looked him dead in the eye and said,

“*I am telling you nothing – merely asking you to remember that death can come in many shades. Some are harsh and infinitely painful to look upon; others can be as peaceful and beautiful as the setting sun. I am an artist and many colors lie upon my palette. Let me paint him a rainbow, and give you the means to decide where it ends.*”

Daroga looked at Erik and slowly walked away, leaving us alone together. I looked at Erik and quietly demanded,

“Erik, what do you speak of? I don't always understand your riddles.” He looked over at me and sighed wearily.

“Rosetta, Reza is dying. I don't want him to suffer. I believe that soon, I must put him out of his misery forever.” I stared at him as my blood ran cold. I knew what he meant.

“Erik, you don't mean...” He nodded and stood from his seat to look out over the view.

“Yes, I mean poison. It will be quick and painless. A mercy.” My stomach became sick and I held back the tears.

“Erik, why!? Is there nothing that can be done?” He looked back at me and shook his head.

“No, not a thing. I don't like this any more than you do, Rosetta, but you must understand that other wise he will die in great agony.” I stood up and walked beside him. I took his hand and whispered,

“How long?” He sighed and looked away.

“I believe he has two months. I don't know though. I may be a healer of sorts but I am no expert.” My hands shook and Erik took them in his own. “Rosetta, I am sorry you have to go through this. Sometimes I wonder if it was the best idea for me to take you as my slave. You might have found another master who would be better.” He dropped my hands and turned away from me.

I stared at his back and shook my head. I wouldn't have accepted any other master. Erik was my friend and treated me as an equal. No, I was glad he had bought me.

“Erik, don't say things like that. You were there are the right time and place to help me. You are the best that I ever could have found.” I took his hand in mind and squeezed it. He looked down at our hands and smiled up at me. We didn't say much for quite some time.

The more I thought about it the more I realized that it was going to happen. It was Erik's way or the painful way. He would know when Reza still had time and when he didn't. I looked up at him and said,

“Erik, if you ever need my help then I am here. I will help you as I can. I don't know anything about poison but I will help.”

He looked at me and shook his head,

“I wouldn't ask you to do that. You shouldn't have a death on your mind.” I looked up at him and laughed.

“Erik, I will help. You're right, it is a mercy. I will miss him but it is a mercy.” Erik squeezed my hand and didn't reply. I looked up at his sad face and fell more in love with him.

Somehow I manged to do that. I didn't know how but I was falling more in love with him by the minute. Most everyone saw a killing machine but I saw a man who was felt real emotions. What had his life done to him so make him see so low of himself? And, most of all, what could I do to restore his self-respect?