Chapter 39

Gavin groaned and got up from the floor, startling Meg. He took a few steps away from her, running his fingers through his hair in frustration, managing to make it more of a mess than it already was.

“What is it?” Meg asked, getting to her feet as well.

“This waiting,” he whined. “I'm tired of waiting! It's...” he paused to look up at the clock on the wall, “It's bloody close to midnight!”

“Gav, you have to be patient with this,” Geoff told him, though he seemed just as impatient. Gavin spun around to face him, his eyebrows furrowed.

“Why can't he just wake up?!” He angrily asked. “I just want him to be awake and okay, and like none of this even happened.” Kdin got up to comfort him but Gavin held up his hands, stepping back from him. “Stop, no. I don't want to hear it. I'm tired.” Kdin just sighed and sat back down.

Geoff inhaled sharply. “Even when he does wake up, he'll have to deal with the healing, but I'm confident he'll be able to handle it. At least, better than we would.”

Gavin pouted and folded his arms across his chest. He walked over and sat down next to Geoff with a huff, but neither of them said a word.

Lindsay swallowed the lump in her throat as she stared at Michael's face. She would glance down at their hands making contact for a bit, but mostly, she was watching his face.

“Michael?” She tried again, her voice slightly shaky, and then she was holding her breath when Michael's eyes started fluttering open. He looked back at her, eyes tired but wide, and Lindsay was up on her feet before he could even try doing anything else.

“Wait here!” She told him, like he actually had a choice. “Griffon!” Lindsay called out as she ran towards the door. “Griffon!” Griffon stepped away from the door as it flung open and seeing the wide smile on Lindsay's face, she furrowed her eyebrows.

“What is it?” She asked.

“Michael's awake!” Lindsay practically cheered. “He's awake!” Griffon blinked hard, almost unsure if she had Lindsay correctly, but Lindsay was nodding frantically. Griffon peeked into the room to see Michael looking up and around as best as he could.

“Oh my god,” she breathed out.

“I told you!” Lindsay squealed.

“Oh my god. Where's his doctor? We need to get his doctor,” Griffon was speaking as she started running down the hall. “I'll go see if he's over here; you get check down the other way!” Lindsay nodded and took off without any hesitation.

Geoff noticed the way Gavin was gripping the armrests of the chair tightly enough to make his knuckles turn white. Instead of trying to stop him, because he knew that would hardly work anyway, Geoff merely sighed and turned to look at everyone else.

“You know, like Gavin said, it's almost midnight,” he was talking to Arryn, Barbara, Miles, Kara, and Kdin mostly, because Blaine, Chris, and Kyle seemed distracted with speaking to Ray, “Maybe you guys should head home. I can give any of you a ride if you need-”

“Geoff!” Griffon called, running down the hallway.

Geoff turned his head to look at her, but he was standing up quickly, noticing the mixture of excitement and worry in her eyes. “What is it?” He asked, and Gavin also couldn't help but get up from his seat.

Griffon came to halt in front of them, her hands going up to her mouth as a smile started to take over, and judging by the tears forming in her eyes, Gavin knew that had to mean one thing.

“He's awake?” He asked, hopeful.

Griffon put her hands down and nodded. “Yeah, Gav. He just woke up,” she grabbed his face gently, “He's awake.” The corners of Gavin's lips rose up easily for the first time that night that he couldn't even say anything but hug her.