The Music Box

The next day was a Saturday. It was scheduled as a free day where everyone could wander around or just hang out and do whatever they wanted. It was also the first day of the first weekend of the tourist season, and there were special events happening in town.

I overheard several of the girls talking about seeing a band, which sounded like a lot of fun... until I realized it was in the town center, and I still didn't have any clothes. So everyone left, and I was stuck in my room playing video games.

Tiring of that, I switched my laptop off and gazed out the window to the flower garden. Then looked back in the room, and my eye caught the cobalt blue of the dress... my dress. I did always play as girls in games... and not because they were sexy or anything... Just— I don't know. Games were the one place where people couldn't make fun of me.

The knot in my stomach returned as—

"Harper, you in there?" a curt voice cut in from the hall, and Wilhelmina's head popped through the doorway.

"Yes?"

"Oh, thank happenstance!" she smiled. "I need your help. I've arranged a job in town. Victoria was supposed to be my partner, but well, she's Victoria, and she's wandered off. And I find myself on the hook, having promised two assistants."

"So, what do you want me to do?"

"Assist, of course..." She said, tilting her head to one side. "It's a shop job, wrapping gifts for the tourist season, they do a whole Christmas in July thing here. Honestly, I don't understand it. But I promised the shopkeep two students, so I need someone... Well, someone reliable."

"Where is it?" I asked, getting ready to disappoint her.

"Do you remember that last shop on the cake hunt?"

"I can't go. I don't have clothes... the sheriff chased me, remember?"

Wilhelmina rolled her eyes and began rifling through my wardrobe. "Yes, you do," she said, and tossed the uniform, a blouse and skirt, they'd made for me onto my bed.

"Those are girl's clothes." The knot in my stomach twisted.

"Not technically. 'Girl's clothes' denotes they belong to a girl, and these belong to you. But yes, I did tell her two girls. Look, I don't really have the time to spend convincing you beforehand. So could we just skip that part?"

"What?"

"If you really want me to talk you into it, you'll just have to wait until afterwards. Now, if you want to help, put on the clothes so we can get going... otherwise I'll be in trouble..." When I didn't move, she added, "Please?"

"But I'm not a girl..."

"And if you didn't mention that to anyone, I would very very much appreciate it."

I stood up and looked down at the uniform. "What if I get caught?"

"Good point. We'll have to be thorough," Wilhelmina said as she tossed one of Nora's bras onto the bed. "We'll need something to stuff it with, but that should cover the most obvious issue."

And a minute later, I was standing in front of the mirror in a skirt and blouse, watching Wilhelmina style my hair with bobby pins.

"Well," she sighed, "That'll do in a pinch."

"But I look like..." I said examining the vestige in the mirror. There, staring back at me, was everything I'd ever been made fun of for. She looked shy, awkward, but that just made her... made me look... cute.

I stammered out, "... like a girl?"

"That is the point," Wilhelmina said, rolling her eyes. "Come on." She stepped into the hall.